Names Searched Right Now:

Names from legends...

I have always been a massive fan of the 'story' behind a name, and several of the names I love are characters from legends, myths etc. - any story I am fascinated by (although I am nowhere near actually needing these names yet...). Can anyone suggest beautiful names that feature in stories, plays or poems (not too recent) that would still be usable today? I love Athena, Areia, Cassandra, Guinevere, Helena, Isolde, Viola etc. for girls, but for boys, I find, there aren't as many I like... Ajax, Cadmus and Cato are a few. (I love these names despite the tragic fates of some of these namesakes...) Thank you!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel-------------------------------Recent Fancies: Mads [boy] & Roxana [girl]

From The Faerie Queene (poem by Edmund Spenser):
    Acrasia, Amoret, Belphoebe, Cambina, Canacee, Una & Artegal, Calidore, Cambell, Marinell, Scudamour, Timias, Triamond.

From Orlando Furioso (poem by Ludovico Ariosto)
    Bradamante, Angelica, Marifisa & Astolfo, Brunello, Roland/Orlando, Rinaldo, Rodomonte, Ruggiero
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I plan on using Atlas and Persephone on future children as well as Guinevere for a middle name. I also have Hermione, Antigone, Isadora w/a nickname Isis, Calliope, and Ariadne on my list of likes.

Names from books by the Brontë sisters:
    Catherine, Hindley and Hareton (Earnshaw), Heathcliff, Isabella and Edgar (Linton), Ellen "Nelly" (Dean); Agnes, Mary and Richard (Grey), Tom, Mary Ann, Fanny (Broomfield), Rosalie and Mathilda (Murray); Jane (Eyre), Sarah, John, Eliza and Georgiana (Reed), Edward (Fairfax Rochester), Bertha Antoinetta and Richard (Mason), Adele (Varens); Shirley (Keeldar), Robert and Louis (Gerard Moore), Caroline (Helstone).

From the Greek mythology, I like:
    - Artemis (whose twin-brother's name, Apollo, isn't bad either), Zeus's (or according to the Arcadians, Demeter's) daughter and the Goddess of wild animals, hunt, childbirth, virginity and protector of young girls.
    - Helios (the brother of the lovely Selene, the moon, and Eos, the dawn), the ancient Greek, (apparently) incredibly handsome, personification of the Sun.
    - Gaia, the Goddess of Earth and great mother of all.
    - Heracles (also sometimes known as Hercules, though that is way to Roman), the (bastard) son of Zeus and Alcmene (though Zeus did try to make up for his little affair by naming his son after his wife, Hera) and one of the greatest Greek heroes.
    - Athena (the sister of Porus), goddess of courage, wisdom, the arts, skills, strategy, law and justice among others, she was also the virgin patroness of Athens.
    Other beautiful names: Aspasia (girl), Odysseus (boy), Perseus (boy), Hera (girl), Achilles (boy), Galene (girl) and Theseus (boy).

The Norse mythology also has beautiful names like Gefion (girl), Saga (girl), Magne (boy), Njord (boy), Eir (girl), Tjalfe (boy), Frej (boy) and Frigg (girl).
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting old Danish names, Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Théoden "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Johanna Ivalo Galadriel "Anna" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise

And for the moment: Atticus Aksel Inigo • Aviaaja Cleopatra Hero "Avi" • Fabiola Agnes Lúthien

Thank you - all of these names are absolutely beautiful! I especially love Eir - I have never heard it before.

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel-------------------------------Recent Fancies: Mads [boy] & Roxana [girl]