Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Scrapping the previous choices and starting over! Please help!!

I want to honor my grandmother by naming my baby girl after her in some way. Her name was Ellen which means "light". But I don't want to use Ellen directly. I'm looking for names that might contain Elle or Ella in them or can be shortened to one of those for a nn. I don't want to use just Ella as that name is way too popular for me. The other option is coming up with any girl name we like and using Hikari (He-kar-ee) as the middle, which means "light" in Japanese like Ellen. Our children are half-Japanese so we always use a Japanese middle name. I want the name to also work well with my other daughter whose name is Dakota. I'm avoiding ultra girly names since her name is somewhat unisex.

Here is my brainstorming... help me come up with some names please!!

I am starting to love the name Emerson. Her middle would have to be Hikari after my grandmother and I'd probably call her Eme or Emery for short. I feel like Emerson is feminine but doesn't have that frilly sound to it that would totally set it apart from Dakota.

Also names that include Anna or can be shortened to Annie for a nn. This is also a family name for my grandma. I like Annikah and Annelise... but Annelise is maybe a bit too girly again.

Please help!!! If the first name does not include Ella or Anna in it, then the middle name would have to be Hikari (He-kar-ee). If it does include it, then we also like the middle name Emiko if that sounds better (Eh-mi-ko). I just need either the first name or the middle name to honor my grandmother.

And we are pretty set on the middle names, so it needs to go with one of those.

So right now the new options I am considering are:

Emerson Hikari
    Annikah Emiko

Annikah Hikari

Other girl names I like so you get a feel for my style:
    Piper, Esme, Cambridge, Teegan, Genevieve, Peri, Mila, Finley, Presley, Bronwen, Sage, Shae...

The sibset:
    Dakota (f), Oakley (m), Ryden (m)

Please help me add to this list!! Thanks!

I love Annika Emiko, spelled that way. The 'h' just takes away from it a bit, I think.

I'm by no means a name expert but some names that have the elle sound you're looking for:
    Gabrielle/Gabriella
    Giselle/Gisella
    Elena
    Eleanor
    I don't know if that helps at all but I hope you find THE right name. I know it's hard, I'm having the same struggles right now. Good luck!

Elena was the obvious choice for me after reading the first paragraph. It's one of my favorite names and so so pretty, but sophisticated. I know you like tomboy names, but Elena is worth branching out for.

Anneka is my prefered spelling of the name, but Annika or Anneka Emiko is beautiful. It has some similar sounds to Dakota, so it matches nicely.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

Ellen (meaning Light):
    Eleanor / Elinor / Elena / Eliora
    Helen / Helena
    Lesedi
    Lucia / Lucina / Lucinda / Lucille / Lucy / Lux / Luz
    Mitsuko ("mitsu" means light + ""ko" means child)
    Nur / Nuru (arabic for light)
    Or / Ori / Orit / Orli
    Roshan (persian for light)

A little more abstract for light:
    Aurora
    Eos
    Dawn

Emerson:
    Emery / Emily / Emma / Emmeline

Anna:
    Anais
    Analia
    Anastasia
    Anatalia
    Angel / Angela / Angelica / Angelina
    Annabelle/Annabella
    Annaliese / Anneliese
    Annemarie
    Annika
    Antoinette / Antonella / Antonia
    Anora
    Anouk
    Arianna
    Diane
    Hannah
    Johanna
    Julianne
    Savannah
    Susannah

Elle names:
    Annabelle
    Arabelle
    Bella
    Christabelle
    Clarabelle
    Gabrielle
    Isabelle
    Maribelle
    Mirabelle
    Sybella

Dakota is a uni-sex name, so I would stick to that theme with your fourth child. So that neither of them feels left out and it will fit in better.
    Emerson Hikari sounds pretty!!!
    Last edited by irmgard+theodorian; January 3rd, 2013 at 03:29 AM.