Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    I would likely agree with you on Zippy as an awful nickname but I had a Zipporah in my church (she was really little when I was a teen, so she's not my age, she's probably a teen now), they called her Zippy and it was the perfect nickname for her. She was a really happy, outgoing child, it just fit.
    Yes, I think Zippy could make a cute nn. Idk what other nn's would even go with Zipporah...I think it would have to go without a nn (which is fine by me).

All of these names are super useable and pretty! I actually know people with each of these names. In terms of Avigail, the hebrew pronunciation is Ah-vee-guy-uhl or Avi-guy-uhl. While Abigail is the english derivative of the name, Avigail is a totally different sound, so i don't think, it should be confused at all.

In terms of Zipporah, there are many ways of spelling it. Sippora, Tziporah etc. The nicknames that i know of are Zip/Sip, Tzippy, and Ora. Ora itself is a female hebrew name as well meaning light, or Oria which means G-d's Light.

Hope that was helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by namehappy View Post
    All of these names are super useable and pretty! I actually know people with each of these names. In terms of Avigail, the hebrew pronunciation is Ah-vee-guy-uhl or Avi-guy-uhl. While Abigail is the english derivative of the name, Avigail is a totally different sound, so i don't think, it should be confused at all.

In terms of Zipporah, there are many ways of spelling it. Sippora, Tziporah etc. The nicknames that i know of are Zip/Sip, Tzippy, and Ora. Ora itself is a female hebrew name as well meaning light, or Oria which means G-d's Light.

Hope that was helpful!
    Thank you namehappy -- that was extremely helpful! I love the Hebrew pronunciation of Avigail and I had never heard of Ora and Oria before. They are really pretty!

sure thing! if you want anymore hebrew names let me know!

I know people with all of those names except for Josette (which is, as stripedsocks said, more French than overtly Hebrew) and Dara (which is a name in a lot of different languages, including Irish and Khmer). All of them are Jewish, most of them Orthodox. These names get positive feedback from people but definitely come across as foreign/exotic/ethnic.

Avigail is 4 syllables, Ah-vee-GAH-yeel. Shani can be a nn for Shoshana, in which case emphasis is on the 1st syllable, or it can be a name by itself, meaning scarlet, with emphasis on the 2nd syllable. Naava IS pronounced NAH-vuh. I'd spell Zipporah with a Tz rather than just Z, because the Hebrew initial there actually makes a tz sound, i hate hearing it sound like zipper.

Dalia, Liora, and Aliza are my favorites from here.