Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Avigail - Known one. I like it more than Abigail because I'm not especially fond of Abby. Avi is fine as a nickname but more common on boys.
    Zipporah - Not super fond of this spelling but I guess its what's likely to happen anyway. One of my Hebrew names is Tzippa which is a diminutive of it, Tzipporah would be more elegant. I sort of like the T, especially if its going to be a middle name. If the tz-sound isn't going to happen anyway I sort of like Sephora/Cephora which are translations. Zippy is kind of awful as a nickname.
    Shani - Dislike it. Looks like Shari and Shanna and those sort of names.
    Dalia - Pleasant. I also like just Dahlia and might go with that.
    Liora - I adore Liora/Leora. I don't know which spelling would be easier for English speakers. Liora is more current in Israel I believe, Leora is an old-fashioned transliteration I have a soft spot for.
    Samara - Dislike, sorry.
    Josette - Not Hebrew particularly. It's fine?
    Naava -- nah-VAH.
    Meira - I forsee many people trying to read this as 2 syllables, like Mira or Myra? Mayira might be clearer? I don't really like it. Liora's much prettier with similar meaning.
    Alizah - I don't see English speakers getting that there's an ee-sound in there and I imagine a lot of people will be thinking you can't spell Eliza. I sort of prefer Aaliyah/Aliyah.
    Dara - Any chance of Dinah/Dina? (either die-nah or dee-nah)? I'm not keen on Dara.
    Last edited by stripedsocks; January 3rd, 2013 at 10:13 AM.

They all seem usable to me however Avigail will be confused with Abigail. I love Tzipporah, Navah (Naava is nice too) and Liora. I saw a documentary with a woman named Navah Paskowitz and have loved Navah "naw-vuh" ever since.

I like Dara but as a boy's name

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Greer * Arden
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Blaise * Linden

http://www.forvo.com/word/nava/ Most Hebrew names put some stress on the second syllable.

Josefa (with a Y sound) or Yosefa would be more Hebrew than Josette. Josette is several stages removed via the Bible to France. Nothing wrong with that of course. And its a bit fresher than Josephine. I also like Joelle as far as that goes.

Thank you all for the feedback and help so far -- I really appreciate it!

Huh, I kind of like Naava with the emphasis on the first syllable, so it's good to know that that is incorrect.

I'm happy to see the positive feedback on Liora -- it's a new favorite of mine.

@stripedsocks: Yes, I much prefer Avigail to Abigail b/c I don't like the nn Abby. I know what you mean about Tzipporah being more pretty. I also like your idea of Sephora! I have heard it is a cosmetics brand too though. Do any of you Berries think that connection is too strong?

Keep the feedback coming!

I really love Alizah, but then I also like the Hebrew name Elza, which comes from the same roots I believe.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College sophomore.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~