• Georgiana Moran

7 41.18%
  • Ivy McMurray

5 29.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Story Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    #1 suffers from a fatal logical flaw, right at the beginning-- if a family were to have a second child in modern China, they would simply pay a fine. A son after a daughter is especially 'nudge nudge wink wink.' if this is set farther back in time, her parents would simply have married her off, not thrown her out.

The army brats story seemed the least interesting.

I really liked the Georgians Moran idea-- very original. Not sure wha the hijacked Dr Watson meant-- is he a real person in this universe?
    1. It's much more fleshed out then the synopsis makes it sound
    2. Hush, artistic license, but do you have any ideas of how she could be forced out of her home, it could happen anywhere that is vaguely near Tibet. One-child policy was just the first thing to come to mind.
    3. Georgie forced her friend Eliza into being her Dr. Watson figure, even though Eliza thinks it's a horrible idea
    4. Pretty much the basic idea, but time travel is very fun
    Boys: William Thomas | James Malcolm | Elias Christian | Vincent Theo | Joshua Benedict
    Girls: Alice Genevieve | Miranda Yvaine | Ivy Arabella | Clara Josephine | Celia Arianwyn
    Guilty Pleasures: Eglantine | Oisín | Zipporah | Étienne | Mitzi | Lidewij

I actually like the Ivy McMurray idea best. Although it needs some developing, I would say this is the one I would like to read.
    guinea pig mama to HeTTy . oLGa . eNiD . WiNNie

GRaCe . JuLia . KiTTy . MaRGo . NaDia . PoLLy
    HuGo . iGoR . JoHN . RoRy . SaMSoN . ToBy

You have some great ideas and it seems like you write quasi-seriously, so I hope you don't mind my being editorial. I think the job of a good editor is to tear everything to pieces, to poke as many holes into the plot as possible, and see what stands up. You as the writer do a patch job. Usually the end result is far better. You have to decide which criticisms / verisimilitude concerns you want to address, and which you want to brush over with the "artistic license" carte blanche. I think it should be saved as a weapon of last resort.

Do you want this story set in present-day China or a bit farther back? As far as a plot device, you could set it in the period of the Cultural Revolution, and make her part of a family of poor villagers who are displaced for one of Mao's great projects (i.e. flooding their valley via a new dam). Her parents drown, or she's separated, and she has to make her own way in a cruel, starving, militaristic China.

Or, she could be mobilized from her village for one of the innumerable civil defense projects, and revolts against the cruelty/ideology of the project, and has to disappear (a great number of atrocities were committed in or near Tibet, so that could get her out there).

Or, she-- like every other romantic heroine-- flees an arranged marriage to a cruel husband.

Or, in modern China, she makes her way overland to the South in order to seek employment in a FoxComm-style factory. She either doesn't make it (joins up with her nomads, though there aren't many bands of nomads in modern China) or does, rebels against the harsh treatment and poor conditions, and tries her luck in the West.

Since this is nameberry, I think your Chinese names could use a bit of tweaking. What language will your characters speak? Tibetan and Mandarin/Cantonese are not at all related and are not mutually intelligible, though Tibetans are forced to learn Mandarin in school. Breaking it down:

Jin Chensi: your main character has a largely Korean name, Jin. Jin is used in China as a GIVEN name, not a surname, but it's much more heavily used in Korea [as a boy's name!]-- you could try Jiang, or Yin, instead.

Puji, Chuju, Xintu, Yanjuan & Ren:

None of these ring authentic. Ren is a relatively common surname, not a first name (though it's a boy's name in Japan).

Unlike in the West, there are really and truly very few Chinese surnames in circulation. More than half the population has a Top 10 surname. Here's a good site to get your surnames:

http://www.sinosplice.com/learn-chin...inese-surnames

Boy's names from historic China:

http://kongming.net/novel/names/

I'm not going to be a great deal of help on first names. Most websites you'll google list only single characters, where as you know given names are two characters (nearly always). Here's one website with a relatively small collection of true "double-barrelled" names:

http://www.first-names-meanings.com/...ese-names.html
    Last edited by blade; January 2nd, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Just a few small notes:

Alexander in Russia is generally spelled Aleksandr http://www.behindthename.com/name/aleksandr if you are looking for accuracy.

I am almost sure I have either read a book, or seen a movie that starts out exactly how that Ivy McMurray one sounds, I can picture it and everything. Maybe look into that???

Out of all of them, the Jin Chensi one would be the most like one I would actually read, but as Blade pointed out, it will need a lot of accurate research to work. Try reading some books by Lisa See too, her historical fiction is generally based in China and I adore it.

Lachlan Alexander - Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Cadmus Walter - Theron Xavier - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Lavender Alina/Irie - Cordelia Autumn - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

I love the story behind Vera Tandova, so that gets my vote. The other three are intersting, but they don't arouse my interest like option number 2.
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction