Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Oh my! What a trove of names!
    Blade: Yes, you'd better be sorry for the miso-erection. But thank you for the names! I am totally agreeing with your "keep and reject" choices. Good points all around. I hear what you mean about Cody.. :-( I feel affectionately about it because it was the name my best friend would always call herself when we were playing make-believe as kids. Her middle name is Key, which I thought about swiping too.

Cabot- love your idea, love Shackletonish types, but I have VT family who are constantly eating Cabot cheese.
    Cadfan- doesn't feel like enough of an... iconic "name name".. you know how a house that's house-shaped feels especially good? I want a name that feels nicely contained like that.. I think ;-) Caspar, Clement, Crispin have that. Cyro I'm not sure about.
    Cadfael- I do like the AE, but I haven't read the books, just watched the silly Mystery series long ago.. don't love it enough to justify using a Cad name.
    Caledon- nah. I do like Calidore though.
    Caradoc- Like this, though it rhymes with paradox.
    Casimir- Gorgeous but not sure husband will bite.
    Cassiel- LOVE. And Cassius, Cassian, Cassia for a girl. Love this.
    Cathal- Beautiful but so breathy.. it doesn't give much more rootedness to Cy.
    Chariton- I think Charity, and Sheraton Motel. Nope.
    Cheyne: Hm.. Like that it means oak, but is it pronounced "chain" or "Shane?" Dislike that it's almost Cheney. But I DO like the sound of "Shane" though the usual sh-spelling doesn't do it for me.
    Chivan: Not wild about the sound. I do love Ösel, which means "clear light of the sky" ..name of a teacher of mine, but there was Ösel Tendzin, who was a pretty dark guy.
    Clovis- This is a beaut. And Clove too. Somehow very androgynous, and it does make me think of devilish goat hooves.. not sure.
    Colwyn: Too whispy
    Constantine: Too regal. Somehow I like Constance but dislike Constantine.
    Corbyn: Of raven names, I prefer Bertram.
    Corentin: I like this one. I might be tempted to call him "Tin" all the time.
    Corydon: I had a "hero-lover" named Cori before I was married, so no.
    Corrado: I think "carotid" for some reason.
    Cosimo/Cosmas : I like this a lot, but there is a new baby in my close family named Nova, so not sure. Prefer Cosmas- the Medici association looms large.

"Are you pronouncing Ywen somewhat close to Owen? The starting vowel is not like the French Yves, from what I understand. I think it's lovely, tied with Yvain for its evocative nature. I think Yves would be constantly misheard as Eve, which might create embarrassing gender confusion."
    It's "YU-wen" like Ewan, but I feel that it's almost a bit like "EE-wen" or that you say the "Yew" sound quickly, so it kind of sneaks up on you. Glad you like it! Yves I prefer as a middle rather than a first, but think I prefer the boyish earthiness of Ywen.
    Ybarra: Lovely, but I know someone with the last name Ibarra, and I do find it feminine.
    Yestin: I see yeast.
    Ynyr: You really shouldn't encourage me with these kinds of vowelless wonders. I love it, but my husband will laugh laugh laugh.
    Ysidro: I like this one. And I love Isidore, Isidor, Isadore... Ysador?

Arvid: Beautiful. Like a cross between "earnest" and "avid." Again, not sure it's enough of a "name name."
    Berkeley: Prefer just Birch- Berkeley has too many other associations for me.
    Hawes: I hear a silent R.
    Haslett: I love the idea of a settlement near hazel trees, but I see "hassle."
    Holt: Wild about the meaning, but I hear "halt."
    Laurence: Hm. Hadn't considered Laurence. It's beautiful. But is it too aristocratic-feeling?
    Lindell: Prefer Linden.
    Nairn: nope.
    Orrick: For some reason I think of Little Otik, that scary Svankmejer film.
    Tamarack: Ooh I love this!
    Waldwick: Sounds snippy to me.

Lordy, that was a lot of names! I'm going to post again with a narrowed-down list.

Andalusia (love your name btw!) Thank you. I am really fond of Schuyler. It's going on the list. Sky is probably the more natural nn with this one, but I think Cy could work.
    On Crispin Makepeace.. yes I know, it does sound like "kiss and make peace." I think I'd want a Y-middle with Crispin anyway, to get Cy.
    Caspian is too over the top Narnia for me, but I do love the sound of it.

Ok. I'll be back later with a new list!

Glad to help-- couple of quick points.

If Cathal is too breathy, you might like the similarly Irish Carbry / Cairbre ("charioteer"), Ciaran, Cinaead (original form of Kenneth, "born of fire,"), Conall (strong wolf), or Cormac (bad meaning, great namesake).

Cadwallader is a fantastic Welsh name (also a NYC white shoe law firm) meaning "leader of the battle"

Cassiel is the angel of Saturday; Cathiel is the angel of Thursday

Cheyne is pronounced Shane.

If Corrado is no good, why not the original Conrad?

Hazlett is the traditional spelling of Haslett, and it removes the 'hassle' worries.

Other C suggestions:

Callistus (from Greek Kallistos; "most beautiful." Saintly male name).
    Cedomir (Slavic again-- "children's peace")
    Ceferino (Spanish form of Zephyr)
    Celestyn / Celestine (brings back Caelus, in the modern saintly/Polish form)
    Cenric ("bold power" in Old English)
    Chandan (Sanskrit for sandalwood)
    Charalampos (OK, out there, but Greek for "to shine with happiness")
    Charon ("fierce brightness" in Greek)
    Conway (River Conwy, 'holy water,' in Wales)
    Cyneric (KINE-ric, "royal power" in Old English)

I think you have all the good Ys already.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

OK, this list is really no shorter, but here's where I'm at. Thanks again Blade. Cassiel, Cathiel, and Cheyne are making me happy right now. All of these names, actually! Well, happy and vexed, at once.

Cy Ywen
    Cy Linden
    Cy Quincy (can't bring myself to part with Quincy, that Q! and quince! ugh. maybe if I don't use it on a boy it could work as a girl's mn)
    Clement Yaromir, Clement Ywen? Clement Yvain?? Clement WHAT?
    Caspar Ywen, Caspar Yvain
    Crispin Ywen (THIS ONE DOESN'T WORK RHYTHMICALLY, BUT OF THE CRISPINS, IT'S CLOSEST IN TONE TO WHAT I WANT)
    Crispin Wythe - Love this, but not sure I can get to Cy this way.
    Crispin Yves, Crispin Yvain, Crispin Yarrow
    Sylvan Marsh? Sylvan Yves
    Cyro Basil, Cyro Wythe, Cyro Marsh, Cyro Julius, Cyro Raoul, Cyro Ywen - not sure.
    Cypress Marsh, Cypress Yaromir, Cypress Raoul, Cypress Randolf

NON-CY POSSIBILITIES:
    Ywen Marsh, Ywen Wythe, Ywen Heath
    Caspar Linden
    Clement Makepeace
    Crispin Basil, Crispin Makepeace, Crispin Seafrid, Crispin Marsh
    Basil Raoul, Basil Wythe, Basil Yvain, Basil Ywen, Basil Clement
    Felix Makepeace, Otis Clement

ALSO ON THE TABLE:
    Cyril
    Cyngar
    Cyndir
    Cabot
    Calidore
    Casimir
    Cassiel
    Cassius
    Cassian
    Cheyne
    Clovis
    Clove
    Corentin
    Cosmas
    Ysidro, Isidore, Isidor, Isadore, Ysador???
    Arvid
    Laurence
    Tamarack
    Schuyler
    Elm, Alder, Birch, Acanthus, Victor, Ishmael
    Cinaead
    Cormac
    Cathiel
    Cadwallader (!)
    Cenrid
    or Cedric
    Cyneric (lovely, but the pronunciation is bananas!)

I feel like Cy by itself is too nicknamey, so personally I'd probably opt out on that one as a stand alone name. Your idea of using the initials C.Y. to come to Cy would work well within the family, though it's probably unlikely he'd have the nickname Cy outside of the family (perhaps that doesn't matter to you). What about Silas? Has the nn Si/Cy as well.

If you do go with the C.Y. initials, here are some of my favorite C names:
    Cian
    Callum
    Caius
    Cassius
    Conrad
    Caelum
    Clayton
    Cianan
    Cullen
    Canaan
    Caleb
    Corey
    Cody
    Cassian
    Caledon
    Cadoc
    Cohen
    Constantine

Don't have any Y names on my list, so can't really help you much there.

Thank you Javad! I do agree that Cy is nicknamey. If I used it as a standalone, I'd want to use Simon sometimes as a lengthened-nick. Silas - meh. From your list I like Cian (like that it's close to Key), Caius (though it makes me think of Caligula), Cassius, Caelum, Cianan, Cassian, and Cadoc. All these nice KEE sounds...
    I like the name Keane too (or Keene) though it's a surname.