Names Searched Right Now:
Page 322 of 660 FirstFirst ... 222 272 312 320 321 322 323 324 332 372 422 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,610 of 3298

Thread: Ttc 2013

My nephew suffered serious brain damage from oxygen deprivation during his birth, only because he was born outside of working hours, which is why I think our cost oriented system is ridiculous. Dutch research shows 10% of infant death (after 37 weeks) is a result from a insufficient medical care and another couple of hundrend because they live to far away from a hospital. Over the past 9 years the numbers have steadily increased fortunately.

None of this matters for me personally, because for high risk births top medical care is free.
    Living a happy life with my #1 husband and my #1 cat, baby #1 due March 2014

#1 Girls name: Aïcha
    #1 Boys name: Ibrahim

Argh. TWW is horrible!
    TTC #1

@sarahmezz I like looking at it that way! WE are the normal ones! Lol

@milasmama very true! I got to indulge in a little Canada Day celebration since I am not preg!

So I think my body is really freaking out now that I'm not on BC! I'm currently on CD19 and I've had EWCM for the past THIRTEEN DAYS! What the... That can't be normal? Anyone experience this??
    Shannon, recently married my BFF and TTC our first <3

Quote Originally Posted by khaatje View Post
    @skylark, wow that sounds really greedy. In the Netherlands prenatal care and delivery are relatively cheap, health insurance covers most of it. Sounds great but because hospitals and midwifes get so little budget per birth, we hardly get any prenatal tests/ultrasounds and you have to practically be in a coma before you get a C section, and can only get an epidural during working hours, but you have to pay extra because only home births are free. This results in the highest child mortality rate (of you include all births not just live births) in the developed world.
    I just looked up the infant mortality for live births on wikipedia and it says the Netherlands had less infant deaths than the US, UK, Australia, etc. But it also said that this figure doesn't include still births and miscarriages. I wonder where you could get figures on that. Since I'm not interested in an epidural or unnecessary prenatal tests the Netherland's deal actually sounds pretty good to me. They probably don't want to encourage the epidural because it increases the risk of cesarean (despite what they teach the doctors in the US currently). You wouldn't believe how many blood tests I've had to take and retake because the lab misspelled my name. The vast majority of these tests are for things I don't even need, but I have to take them and pay for them if I want to give birth in the birth center (supposedly a nicer/safer experience than the average hospital room). Believe me, you don't want a C section unless you absolutely need one. A cesarean section involves serious short term and long term risks to mother, child, and any future children that mother may have. I'm talking to women on a placenta previa forum who have to have hysterectomies and partial bladder removal due to placenta accreta/percreta caused by unnecessary cesareans. I would gladly forgo a bunch of needless blood tests, ultrasounds, and pain medication if it meant I could also avoid a c section.

Doctors here are so afraid of getting sued that they often won't let women try for a natural birth if there is even the slightest risk that something could go wrong - like in my case. I asked my midwife what would happen if my baby was breech and she said it would be a C section because no one knows how to deliver a breech baby anymore. There are tons of youtube videos that show how to do it and it really doesn't look that complicated to me, but since there are a few more risks to the baby if the doctor yanks on the baby doctors are afraid of getting sued. They also like to cut corners to save money on C sections here like using staples, which have an increased risk of wound separation but take only seconds to close the incision. They have this super glue stuff called Dermabond that has a tendency to pop open during recovery if it's not applied properly, but it takes only seconds to close the incision compared to half an hour with double layer stitches so it's the preferred method in many hospitals. If one of those dermbond or staples women decides to try for a VBAC a lot of times the doctor will say they're not comfortable with it because they didn't get double layer stitches and there is an increased risk of uterine rupture.

I've talked to a lot of women who had cesareans at the hospital I go to who say a student did the epidural or surgery or incision closure and they screwed it up because they are just learning how to do it and an OB didn't watch the procedure. So while we pay the most in the US for birth we often get substandard care for major surgical procedures that weren't medically necessary. Sometimes you get less than what you paid for. While cesareans are a life saving surgery in some cases, they are performed far too often in the US - sometimes with very unfortunate consequences.

Sorry I got off topic. I came here originally to give TTC advice because it took me a while to get pregnant, but I got onto this healthcare rant because it's something that's important to me. I hope everyone here gets pregnant and has a complication free pregnancy. When you finally get pregnant there will be more research to do to make sure you don't get screwed over. But in the end most of us walk away with a healthy baby. Good luck, ladies.

Hope the Canadian berries had a great Canada Day, and happy 4th of July to the American berries!

Whitegold, I'm just off the pill, too (more recent than you) and my cycle is being weird. Based on body temperatures, I thought I ovulated on Thursday, but started bleeding on Monday - but not very much. So, I'll just keep tracking and see what happens. But, I wanted to share with you this information from Taking Charge of Your Fertility (I'm like a new convert, so enthusiastic about this book! ):

"The Pill can cause any of the following disruptions for up to several months after discontinuing:
    - False high temperatures
    - Temperature that seems out of sync with cervical fluid
    - Absence of typical ovulatory cervical fluid, leading to an unchanging basic infertile pattern [just means the same cm for 14 days in a row, so a sign that ovulation isn't happening]
    - Continuous seemingly fertile watery or milky cervical fluid [this might be you]
    - Erratic pattern of patches of varying types of cervical fluid
    - Short luteal phase indicating an unsuitable ovulation
    - Heavier and redder bleeding than you became accustomed to while on the Pill
    - Irregular preovulatory bleeding and spotting in the luteal phase
    - Poor menstrual flow following ovulation"

I am starting to experience a number of these. It is comforting to know that it is normal for post-Pill, even if it means I'm not back to a regular cycle yet. Hope that helps you a bit!