Names Searched Right Now:
Page 183 of 660 FirstFirst ... 83 133 173 181 182 183 184 185 193 233 283 ... LastLast

Thread: Ttc 2013

Quote Originally Posted by missusaytch View Post
    I've read up on exercise during pregnancy, and found that overweight and obese women who lose weight during pregnancy - safely, with moderate exercise and proper diet - have fewer complications and a lower risk of C-section.
    @MrsH this is absolutely true. Obesity is a major risk factor in just about every adverse pregnancy outcome you can think of. It's very tough during labor to accurately assess the fetus since the EFMs don't work as well through several inches of abdominal wall fat; often unfortunately internal monitors (placed directly in the baby's scalp) must be used. The risk of c-section is much higher, the risk of a macrosomic baby is higher, the risk of GDM is higher, the risk of preeclampsia and eclampsia is much higher, and if you actually get a c-section the risk of a deep or superficial wound infection is multiple orders of magnitude higher.

Being at a healthy body weight and having normal glycemic control is obviously profoundly important for your general health, but it is especially true in pregnancy. Good luck, it sounds like you have an excellent plan.

In the breakdown of pregnancy weight gain, only about 5-7lbs for a normal-BMI woman is actual weight gain to her body mass. The majority is placenta, baby, amniotic fluid and increased plasma volume. Of course an overweight or obese woman would add on these same pounds as her pregnancy progresses, but slow and steady reduction to her body mass can easily result in a perfectly healthy pregnancy where the ending number on the scale is lower than the starting number.
    Last edited by blade; May 1st, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Good luck as you embark on your Power 90 adventure, Mrs H! Congrats on making it through the first day. You are already further ahead than many people who aren't even motivated enough to start. Good for you!

I've just come from my kitchen. My appetite always increases in the days following ovulation, and this month is no exception. I am only 2 or 3 DPO, so it is waaay too early to have any symptoms either way, but the fact that my appetite is following it's normal monthly pattern--is that bad news? If I had conceived, would my body be going through this regular monthly progression or would it be varying? If I listed the things I just consumed, it would sound like two lunches. But it was not my lunch, nor was it my dinner. It was all just a little snack. This is how every month goes, beginning well before PMS even kicks in. And I'm not sure if it's a clue that I have not conceived. Right now, though, I don't care...I'm just so excited that it's almost time for dinner.
    Last edited by alzora; May 1st, 2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: grammatical disasters

@Blade, how are you feeling??

I feel marvelous. No symptoms whatsoever. It was like that with Mr A, too. And of course I'm still pessimistic.

@alzora there is NO WAY for any human being to feel any symptoms of pregnancy whatsoever before implantation of the embryo. If you have read otherwise from some well-meaning woman who states she became nauseated, had tender breasts, was craving things, etc at day 16 in her cycle it was either all psychosomatic or just plain, simple retrospective confirmation bias. Until the embryo implants-- usually roughly 9 days after conception, on average (though it can be as early as 7 days) you don't make a microUnit of B-HCG. Only the placenta makes B-HCG and the placenta doesn't exist until implantation (though the trophoblast does).

Btw this is why it is useless to test for pregnancy before you miss your period. Let's assume you have a 14-d luteal phase. Day 1- egg released. Day 2-3: conception occurs. Day 3/4-12: embryo travels down tube, lazily makes its way to uterus, implants. B-HCG production begins. Days 13-14: B-HCG doubles every 24h, roughly. It must reach 5 U/uL in the serum before it can be excreted at a high enough concentration to be detected by a home pregnancy test. Women who swear they tested positive 5 days before or something either have long, irregular cycles, are lying, or have ultra-fast tube-transit times. But the lower limit of normal is 7d, average is 9.

Since most pregnancy symptoms are caused by B-HCG (frequent urination, nausea) or high levels of progesterone (increased appetite) you won't feel anything-- you can't feel anything-- until right around your missed period.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Phew! So no need to get discouraged by my predictable monthly patterns yet. Thank you. But I'm confused about this...you said:

Day 1: egg released. Day 2-3: conception occurs.

I'm revealing [more of] my ignorance about how this works. The Wondfo ovulation test reads positive 24-36 hours before the egg is released. So my husband and I made two solid attempts within 31 hours of a positive test. Presumably we hit ovulation. But if conception doesn't occur until Days 2 or 3, should we have kept going for another two days after ovulation?

So great that you're feeling well! When is the first ultrasound?