Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jaw popping

Jaw popping

Today, Persephone started popping her jaw. She'll push the bottom part of her jaw to the side and it will make a loud POP (like when you pop a knuckle) and she does it over and over and over. Cody's jaw does it but it sounds really quiet and soft when he does it and it only really happens when he eats and it didn't start with him till he was 20ish. She's right at 7 months and now she won't stop pushing her jaw to the side and popping it.

Have any of you encountered this? Is it something I should be worried about?
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Honestly, I've never heard of this (recreational jaw popping in a young infant), and since the popping sound comes from temporary dislocation of the temporomandibular joint it might have long-term consequences with repetitive stress. Clearly she's enjoying it so it's not causing her pain, but it's something I would try to get to the bottom of if possible. Can you feel along her jaw (both sides) to make sure it's aligned properly on both sides? That it's "in" the joint properly?
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

It feels perfectly fine and it doesn't seem to bother her. Cody did a google search and said it might be loose something or others >.>

We have a doctors appointment in a month for her flue shot so I can ask then, but it bothers me and it just started.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Proud Mama to:
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Does it pop involuntarily when you give her something to suck (pacifier, nursing, bottle)?
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

No. I'd never heard it happen until she started doing it a little while ago. It doesn't seem to be happening when she chews (it happens when Cody chews and no other time) and not when she sucks on anything.

Proud Mama to:
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014