Names Searched Right Now:
Page 59 of 660 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 109 159 559 ... LastLast

Thread: Ttc 2013

Quote Originally Posted by poppy528 View Post
    What kind of work up does one really need to get Clomid? Ladies that have taken it, did you go through your regular gynecologist or did you have to see a reproductive endocrinologist? I actually don't have a PCP right now, but I assume they rarely prescribe it. Did you need a battery of bloodwork and tests before hand? ... I'm really hesitant to go to a doctor since it would mean finding one (or several).
    You need a basic endocrine panel, including FSH/LH at the proper time in the cycle (days 3&5 or something like that), as well as a pelvic ultrasound with good, accurate imaging of the ovaries. This confirms an ovulatory disorder. In the absence of any history of endometriosis, an ectopic, or PID you can skip the HSG.

You absolutely don't need an REI for Clomid-- all general ob/gyn prescribes it. Since family docs have training in obstetrics and since primary care FPs and internists do basic outpatient women's health, many of them do feel comfortable prescribing it, but personally I would prefer to have it come from someone formally trained in infertility (i.e. an OB) as they have a better perspective on how it fits in to the entire workup and spectrum of disorders.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

@alzora, the kind I use is called Answer. There are 20 strips that come in the bottle and I normally start on day 9. My LH surge has been lasting 5 days, which is unusual but I do not think that it is the strips, I think it is just me and my body struggling to ovulate.

Also, when my cervical mucous is "ready", for lack of a better word, I start timed sex even without the positive test. I figure it doesn't hurt. I just use the strips as peace of mind so that I know I'm actually ovulating

I heard that these strips can also detect pregnancy so if I don't use all of them, they are saved through the two week wait and I start again when I think I would have a positive pregnancy test. I don't rely on this method, and it may not be healthy for my mental well being, but there ya go
    "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by megmarie View Post
    Thanks @alzora. My doctor just told me that if nothing happens in the next two cycles then we will have to do an IUI and my husband would need to start getting his sperm tested, etc. She said that the Clomid is working but we have a couple of obstacles that need to be sorted out in a really short amount of time. It is so frustrating to hear that the Clomid is working but now new issues arise. IDK, I guess I am just really disheartened. I know it isn't the end of the world by any means, I was just really hopeful that Clomid would do the trick. I do know that I need to keep a good mindset because IT CAN STILL HAPPEN in the next two months!!! Maybe I'm the little engine that could Hopefully tomorrow I will wake up with positive thoughts and heck, I COULD be pregnant right now!

Does anyone know how much an IUI costs? I mean, I have good insurance but is that even covered with most plans?
    I also have PCOS, and I did an IUI for my first kiddo. My fertility doctor had a package deal called a mini-stim. It involved a clomid cycle, 2 ultrasounds (to make sure I was only releasing one or two eggs), semen analysis, and IUI. The total package was $850. My insurance didn't pay for it, but luckily we only had to do it once. The IUI was actually the cheapest part of the package. The ultrasounds were the pricey part, but they were still cheaper than twins would have been ;-) My doc recommended the IUI because it just gave us that much more assurance that everything was getting where it needed to be. Good luck, and I hope everything works out! Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Wife to Jordan.
    Mommy to Everett Callan, born 2010 and Callie Sage Eilonwy, born 2013
    and 2 fur babies: a male standard poodle named Shasta, and a female Australian shepherd named Scout.

If you have any questions about PCOS, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or Cystic Fibrosis testing, please feel free to message me

Blade, think you for your info, again and again. Good to know that at least some internists prescribe Clomid and do at least the initial legwork of diagnosis/treatment. My previous dr refused to treat me for anything, any mild condition was just passed to another medical team. I'll start looking around one of these days but hold out a few months for now.

Alzora, I like Clearblue One–Month Digital Ovulation Kit (20 ct). The happy face is great too, no guessing. I think it cost about $35 at Target. They have a new ADVANCED version, which I have not seen sold in stores, but it tests for estrogen & LH to target 4 fertility days vs. 2, and those are pee sticks like a pg test. There's also the Ovulation Monitor which is a ridiculous contraption larger than a clock radio and costs $200, but it says it gives you 6 days notice.
    Last edited by poppy528; December 31st, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

Thank you, @whit32! I really appreciate your feedback. I may come back to you for some more questions later! I feel like I always have so many but now that you have offered to answer them I cannot think of any
    "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama