Names Searched Right Now:
Page 45 of 660 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 95 145 545 ... LastLast

Thread: Ttc 2013

Rightio, here's my update
    Well we started ttc in Dec '12, and we both quit smoking, switched to Decaff, I took Folic acid daily, we had regular sex, I had come off the pill etc and I honestly thought I had conceived, even having a few pregnancy symptoms. So I was totally gutted after my test was negative and aunt flo arrived. With my other two pregnancies I conceived in the first month of trying, after we both quit smoking. All the times we were having the odd cigarette and trying, nothing happened. So of course I thought i would conceive straight away but I didn't.
    So we both started smoking again, drank our caffeine and I stopped taking Folic acid as I thought it was a waste of pills if I was smoking anyway, and we both sorta thought we would try again after our wedding in April. We only had sex about twice during the month.
    February arrives and aunt f is late. Nothing unusual, as my cycles tend to lengthen gradually after I come off the pill. 5 days late and Bryan insists I take a test. I say "I'm not pregnant I've been smoking all month!" but I take one just to keep him happy.
    And it was freaking positive! Totally shocked, I was pregnant. Bryan almost fell over when I told him. We are both very happy although still getting over the shock of me conceiving whilst smoking and drinking caffeine. One month of doing everything right, nothing happens. One month of being totally bad, and I fall pregnant. The body is a very strange thing sometimes.
    Needless to say, I rushed to buy some Folic acid and have cut down to one cigarette per day since I found out. So three cigarettes in total. Hoping to quit completely in the next few days.
    So yeah. That's my story. positive test after all that lol xxx
    Hala
    Proud Mummy to Kyan & Connor xxx

@hala, so wait, you're pregnant?!?! Congratulations!!! They say that when you're not trying, it happens. I hope you are feeling well, and wish you a healthy, safe pregnancy.

You are right that I've been a roller coaster of emotions as of late over conceiving, and in the end I feel damned if I do, damned if I don't. My husband and I were laughing yesterday--well I was crying and laughing at the same time--because I am a WRECK when I think we may have conceived, and then I'm a wreck when I find out we haven't. He just holds me and chuckles while I lament over the complicated and delicate internal workings of my mind. At this exact moment I am in a state of extreme sadness over having not conceived. AF has not arrived, but it is abundantly clear that she's coming down the pike. I should be cleaning my house right now and doing phone interviews for a newspaper article due this weekend, but no, I'm just lying in my bed with my dog lying beside me, wallowing over my state of barrenness and sending dramatic texts of lament to my one female friend who has no interest in children herself. My greatest accomplishment on this sad day has been making myself a grilled cheese. I get a little emotional during PMS, and I guess that's why I've been on this thread so much, taking solace in the hopeful stories of others and whining about my own aggravations. Your positive story gives me hope. This feeling of sadness will pass within the week and I will snap back to a more productive frame of mind. For today, I wallow.

If we don't conceive in a few months we will be pursuing medical help. What kinds of tests do they do? What exactly do they look at? Is it very involved or painful? Is it expensive? Is a semen analysis expensive? Does insurance typically cover any such testing for either the man or the woman?

Alzora, we are in the 2ww too, ugh, anyways, hang in there!! Sending you warm wishes!!

Do you chart at all? I've found that really helpful to know my body and when I ovulate and such, really useful. I use fertilityfriend to keep track of everything. Insurance-wise, it can really vary. I'd actually call yours to see what they cover and get preauthorization and/or ask your doctor's office what procedures or testing they might recommend for you and then call the insurance company.

They will probably do a pelvic exam and blood tests -could be several over the course of your cycle to check hormone levels. I know my good friend had at least up to this level of visits covered by her insurance. Btw, she had a hard time getting pregnant (it took around 3.5 years), but her precious, perfect baby boy was born a couple of months ago, he is such a little lambkins, ahhh.
    Mama to my dear little bear <3

It's very non-invasive at first, then works its way up the scale.

The man undergoes semen analysis (which is rather pleasurable, as he has to produce the specimen) and the woman has a few serial hormone blood draws (FH & LSH during the first week of your cycle; if you've been charting BBT and testing for ovulation at home that's useful information but the doctor must repeat it all to verify). Then there is a cervical mucus test, including a post-coital one to see if sperm can penetrate the cervical mucus-- this is right during the LH surge, when the mucus should be very thin and compliant. If that's all normal, the next steps are imaging of the ovaries, tubes and uterus via ultrasound (checking for a normal endometrial stripe, mature follicles, cysts, etc). This is all non-invasive. If everything checks out, you move to more invasive testing: a "dye test" (hysterosalpingogram) to determine if there is mechanical blockage of the fallopian tubes, and potentially a laparoscopy for endometriosis if you have a history of it or a hysteroscopy [scope in the uterus] with biopsies.

Then things gets murky and specialized to me (the correct answer on any exam I would be taking is "refer to a reproductive endocrinologist") but it involves addressing particular problems as they've been diagnosed; i.e. interuterine insemination for a sub-par semen analysis, Clomid for ovulatory disorders, weight loss/metformin for PCOS, etc. IVF is the very end of the ladder (well, I suppose donor eggs, donor sperm, and a surrogate are the very end).
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Thank you @Alzora! I know I couldn't quite believe it either. Thank you very much, I am feeling fine. The only tiny symptom I have is sore boobs but only slightly. I have no other symptoms, but I didn't expect any. My first pregnancy was very mild symptoms, and my second pregnancy had hardly any symptoms at all, so I figured I would escape them this time. Probably why it came as such a shock that I conceived. I am a bit scared about losing this Pip aswell, especially with the fact that ive been smoking, but am keeping my fingers crossed that Pip is fine. It's very early days, I think I'm about 4 weeks. But I think this Pip might be stronger, I mean, I managed to conceive when i was smoking, that's gotta mean something. Hopefully will be quitting in the next couple of days tho, but I am proud of myself for cutting straight down to one a day, and I don't inhale very deep so fingers crossed Pip will hang in there. I have had one normal healthy pregnancy already tho, so I'm hoping this one will be too.
    People find it bizarre that I have had a normal pregnancy followed by a miscarriage. People expect it the other way around. You know, miscarriage then healthy pregnancy. Personally I feel it's up to mother nature.
    Aw, Alzora, I can't believe how intense your emotions are that must be fun every month! Honestly, don't worry. If it's meant to be it will happen, but try to relax and chill out. Easier said than done I know but honestly try. Look after yourself and enjoy your life and let nature take it's course. If after a year you have no joy, then doctors it is. I don't know what they will start you with, though, as I've never been in that situation. So I can't help you there, I'm afraid. But you will probably find when you will fall pregnant when you least expect it. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and sending you hugs and baby dust! I always find chocolate and a cup of tea cheer me up when I'm on, and just rest for a few days before worrying about anything else.
    Much love xxx
    Hala
    Proud Mummy to Kyan & Connor xxx