Names Searched Right Now:
Page 276 of 660 FirstFirst ... 176 226 266 274 275 276 277 278 286 326 376 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,380 of 3298

Thread: Ttc 2013

Re: pricing of the HSG: multiple people contribute to the price. There is the facility fee (into which is lumped the salaries of the hourly workers, such as the nurse and radiology tech); the performing doctor's fee (your OB/gyn) and the interpreting radiologist's fee. Since this is hardly a technically difficult nor life-hanging-in-the-balance procedure (i.e. you're not selecting a facility for open-heart surgery here) feel free to go to the cheapest place in town; usually this is a teaching hospital or county hospital with a high proportion of government-insured or uninsured patients. [However watch out-- sometimes these places operate out of necessity on a Robin Hood model: steal from the insured to pay for the uninsured-- and your fee might be higher]. Negotiate the fee in advance with your OB/gyn to make sure there are no surprises. Again, you'll have to match up the facility to the places where your OB has privileges. As for the radiologist, nothing you can do there-- it's randomly assigned in their work queue, who reads what study. But you can certainly call the billing department and ask what their interpretation fees are. At many places in the US you should be able to get it done for <$1000.

If you want to PM me to talk about local hospital options, feel free.

You will also need to price your husband's semen analysis. It might be the case that you will be able to afford one treatment/test this year, and the other the next year (most everything insurance-related rolls over Dec 31), in which case you'd need to have a discussion about which you'd like to do first and which you think will be the highest-yield.

In the interim, while you're waiting these three months, continue to put together an algorithm of what treatments or options you'd like to pursue based on the results of this workup. I.e. if your HSG shows adhesions, have an ob/gyn in place who performs laparoscopic adhesiolysis, tuboplasties, etc. You'll only know this in advance by calling around to all the local OBs and finding out who offers operative infertility treatments. If your husband's semen analysis shows poor count or motility or whatever, line up an andrologist or start investigating IUI. You could spend the next few months both simultaneously pursuing a natural pregnancy as well as planning the next wave of attack (and investigating adoption).
    Last edited by blade; June 15th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Well AF is finally here! Spotted once yesterday, then i started cramping this afternoon. Mild but steady. And now very very light red/brown bleeding. So it'll prob be full blown by tomorrow.. I heard the first period off BC is the worst... I'm kind of afraid to see how this goes :s I've heard horror stories of first AFs lasting a couple of weeks or super heavy flows and the worst cramps ever. Crossing my fingers that neither happens!! Anyways, that's it for me!
    Shannon, recently married my BFF and TTC our first <3

Quote Originally Posted by loveday View Post
    this may sound weird, but i have to admit that i read the trials and frustrations with medical insurance etc on this thread with awe and sadness - though canadian medicare is not without flaws (and looooong wait times for some things), i must admit that i am so grateful for it and cannot imagine adding the stress of having to worry about paying or getting compensation for procedures related to fertility. for a self-imployed person like myself it is a godsend to have automatic healthcare.
    Totally agree. I can't believe the difficulties Americans face regarding fertility. A while back, people were discussing the cost of IVF and I couldn't believe the price tag. Really, it's unbelievable. I'm so grateful Australia has got its act together.
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I third what loveday said about medical insurance and medical care in the US. I can't believe how little the government offers to people and how reliant people must be on insurance companies. In NZ most couples qualify for two free rounds of IVF as well as standard medical care (appointments with a GP, fertility referrals etc). You would think (from a purely economical perspective) it works out cheaper in the long run for governments to take care of sick people, so that there are more healthy productive people to work.

@alzora, thanks for the info. My husband and I very seriously considered international adoption. I have a whole bookshelf of adoption books, a pity they're now in storage in NZ! For us the barriers were cost ($60,000 - now there's something our govt could improve upon), time (approx 4 years), country adoption restrictions (religion, no previous children, infertile, over 30 etc) and having to stay in NZ the whole time. Once we moved overseas our chances were effectively nil, as we could potentially adopt through another country but couldn't bring the child back to NZ. However international adoption looks much easier from the US. Expensive, but comparatively much less so - and you can often get funding. It also looks like a much faster process, although that can have drawbacks too; there have been adoption scandals in the US that haven't happened elsewhere. Do you know where you would want to adopt from? Would you be willing to adopt a toddler rather than a young baby? Most of the places we looked at had 1-3 year olds as the youngest adopted children. Because of that, you'd need to consider the mental and developmental effects of institutionalisation. I've worked in orphanages in Nepal, India and Mongolia - there is certainly a huge amount of variation in how much care and attention the children receive. Some countries also place potential adoptee children with foster carers, which helps a lot.

There were also gender variables for different countries, ie Morocco had mostly toddler boys, India had girls over age 5. If you wanted the other gender, wait times were much longer. You can also reduce your waiting times by being willing to adopt a waiting child with disabilities. The disabilities can range from very minor (eg, need glasses, congenital toe deformity) to significant and long term. You can specify which disabilities you would be willing to cope with. It's all a very unsettling process, being asked to pick preferences about your future child - but I do think international adoption is fantastic overall and I wish it were easier for more people to adopt.
    Last edited by milasmama; June 16th, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett

First AF sucks! It finally came last night with super cramps that are still here this morning. It's nothing like my usually AF. It's bright red and watery and not heavy (although its not spotting either) and brown mixed in only on the tampons. My usual AFs are dark red and clotty and heavier than this and only brown at the end.

Did all of your AFs change once off BC?
    Shannon, recently married my BFF and TTC our first <3