Names Searched Right Now:
Page 158 of 660 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 208 258 658 ... LastLast

Thread: Ttc 2013

It is obviously your own decision if you want to take NSAIDs while trying to conceive and during the first two trimesters. *post redaction* Sorry if it came off as preachy! I was going to write an update and respond to some of the dear berry comments, but my phone has 4% battery left and I have to get my chores done. Cheers.
    Last edited by poppy528; December 31st, 2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: post redaction
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

Should also have mentioned premature closure of the ductus in the third trimester (third trimester only).

NSAIDs in the most recent, comprehensive clinical review (a 6 year long study where pregnancies were observed specifically to answer this question, whether or not the risk of miscarriage is increased when taking them) did NOT demonstrate any effect. No link whatsoever. 43% of women took an NSAID at some point in their pregnancy, 13% had a miscarriage, and there was absolutely no higher percentage of NSAID-takers among the women who experienced miscarriage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22914399 from July 2012

Abstract
    OBJECTIVE: To estimate the association between over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) exposure during the early first trimester and risk for spontaneous abortion (gestation before 20 weeks of gestation) in a prospective cohort.

METHODS: Women were enrolled in the Right from the Start study (2004-2010). Exposure data regarding over-the-counter NSAID use from the last menstrual period (LMP) through the sixth week of pregnancy were obtained from intake and first-trimester interviews. Pregnancy outcomes were self-reported and verified by medical records. Gestational age was determined from the LMP. Stage of development before loss was determined from study ultrasonography. Cox proportional hazards regression models were used to estimate the association between NSAID exposure and pregnancy outcome taking into account candidate confounders.

RESULTS: Among 2,780 pregnancies, 367 women (13%) experienced a spontaneous abortion. NSAID exposure was reported by 1,185 (43%) women. NSAID exposure was not associated with spontaneous abortion risk in unadjusted models (hazard ratio [HR] 1.01, 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.82-1.24) or models adjusted for maternal age (adjusted HR 1.00, 95% CI 0.81-1.23).

CONCLUSION: Our findings suggest that use of nonprescription over-the-counter NSAIDs in early pregnancy does not put women at increased risk of spontaneous abortion.

Here is the paper Poppy cited: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11157526

It specifically studied women who were *prescribed* NSAIDs for pre-existing medical conditions in the several weeks preceding pregnancy and miscarriage. There is a major flaw with the study design: comparing sick women who need prescription medication and healthy women who do not is not comparing like with like. Obviously the major confounder is the preexisting medical condition, which is much more likely to lead to miscarriage. In addition prescription NSAIDs are stronger, more potent, and more regularly taken rather than the occasional advil for a backache. When the question was properly studied-- where the only variable was NSAID use in an otherwise medically uncomplicated patient population-- no effect was seen.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Since this is the TTC thread, and I am TTC.... period is late. No symptoms. Not yet tested. Am guardedly pessimistic.
    Wow, I just turned up pregnant last night; if you and I are expecting at the same time, that would make me kind of stupid happy. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya, Doc!
    Married since June 2007, expecting our first child on Christmas Day, 2013

Darcy ~ Rowena ~ Hazel ~ Lorena ~ Leona ~

Eames ~ Miro ~ Bradbury ~ Duval ~ Marshall ~

Congratulations on your pregnancy! We shall see. I feel pessimistic though... with Antoine I knew unmistakeably (of course I kept terrible, terrible track of my periods and was actually like 12 days late before I tested.... when I showed up to the OB I told her my LMP was in April, when in actuality it was May 15. She just rolled her eyes at me).
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Thanks guys! You made me feel a lot better. 10DPO today -- yesterday I thought I saw something on one of my tests so I took a few more in two different types. I still don't see it on the skinny ones but on the thick ones I sort of do. Top ---> bottom is newest ---> old. Top is this morning, the rest are various times yesterday.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...g?t=1366718291

Inverted, because I see it better this way. I hope it gets darker!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps46b96c21.png
    Allie & Daniel -- Married since 08/2012 and TTC #1 since 04/2013

Daisy - Azalea - Josephine - Charlotte - Katherine - Zoe - Marie
    Luca - Eli - Evan - Ezra - Mica - Silas