Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Credibility questioned

Apparently Blair was used in the Victorian era as a nickname for Elizabeth. Similarly to how Sadie was used for a nickname for Sarah. How does that work??

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

I don't know, either. I'm a Sarah and have never had anyone even guess that my nn was Sadie! I was surprised when I heard that. I didn't know that about Blair being a nn for Elizabeth, either...

Well, according to the wikipedia entry for Elizabeth, Blair is the Scottish nickname taken from the last part of Elizabeth. So I guess it somehow developed from Beth? *shrug* That's the only thing I could turn up in my five minutes of google research.

Blair is originally a masculine name and is from a Scottish last name, which is derived from the Gaelic blar, meaning plain, field, battlefield. It has no connection to Elizabeth. The closest Blair form from Elizabeth is Beileag, which isn't pronounced Blair!

I am not a fan of Blair whether it is a legitimate nickname for Elizabeth or not.