Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sibling for Sidonie

It's a boy! Due in the summer.

Soo, we named our daughter Sidonie because it was feminine, european, and very uncommon, and I loved the quirky androgyny of her nickname, Sido. Now we're searching for a name for her future brother that has similar qualities; masculine without being too macho, a little classic, but still different. I like old-man names that have cute little-boy nickname potential, and I also like Scandinavian and Slavic boy names a lot. Nothing overly French because we're not French, and gaving both our kids French names when it's not our nationality seems strange. Also, we live in Germany so it's a plus if the name works in German but isn't "German" — haha if that makes any sense! For instance, I know of 3 baby Wolfgangs in the US, but Wolfgang to my friends here sounds ridiculous, it's sort of like everyone's dad's name. Oh, and nothing with the "ore" sound like Soren or Rory or Lorne, because it doen't work with our last name.

At the moment, my favorites are Alvin nn Alvie, Mercer nn Merce, Ivan, Teodor, Antonin...and like a zillion others. Help me find just the right name please. I would love to hear all your wildest suggestions!

• Mom to Sidonie Jane & a little boy due in June •

Wow, what a fun post! You're bound to get some fun suggestions. Since I live in the US, Alvin makes me think of Alvin and the Chipmunks, but I love Mercer (although apparently it is French). I love Silvain and Silas from your signature. Are you avoiding them because of the double "s" with Sidonie?
    Teodor is fun, but I prefer the soft "Th" Theo version better. I don't know much about German names or sounds though.

Other suggestions:
    Soren
    Adrian
    Quentin

No, I actually have Silvain in my sig because it's similar to Sylvie, which was my top girl's name. I guess its just as well that it's a boy because Sylvie is getting insanely popular though!
    We pronounce Sidonie in the frenchy way, SEE-do-nee. So a Sil or Sy beginning is not out of the question.

Ah but Teo (tay-o) as a nickname is so cute! I love Teodor in contrast to Theodore. Th is sometimes a difficult sound for German speakers. I'm not so concerned with pleasing German relatives or anything like that (we have none, and we probably won't live here forever) but I do worry about everyone saying his name wrong in preschool etc.

I love Soren! So much! But like I mentioned in my first post, our last name has an "ore" sound and so it sounds too rhyming.

• Mom to Sidonie Jane & a little boy due in June •