Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

is Caitlyn (any spelling) dated?

I thought Caitlyn (any spelling) was a bit dated even 5-6 years ago but i have met so many of them recently in the 2-5 age range - is it becoming a current classic? am i the only one that finds it dated? i do really like the name but jsut thought its day had passed...

Caitlin had her heyday in the 1990's so it's "dated" for me. However, the trendy spelling Kaitlyn has overtaken the Irish Caitlin and was No# 100 in the US last year (2,893 girls) so obviously some people still find it appealing. It has two things going for it: the popular sounds of "ay" and "n" and the fact that it's Irish. With all of its spelling variations, I'm not surprised that you're still hearing it.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I feel like it's been usurped by Caylee. I think "90s" when I hear it. For a classic take on this genre of name (if that makes any sense) I would go for simply Kate. I know two women my age (mid thirties) who've gone the Hollywood route and picked Cate recently.

I find it dated. I realize this probably depends somewhat on where you live, but in the 90s and early 2000s peak of Caitlin (and it's many, many spellings) I lived in the midwest and of the seven baby girls friends had at the time, three were named a variant of the name. I find all of the double syllable long-a names dated though (ex. Jayden, Kayla, Ayden, etc.)
    Mom to:

Gretchen Sofia
    Cordelia Violet

due July 2013

Caitlin and all it's spellings are still going strong here. I love it. One of my friends and one of my cousins both have a Caitlin. I love all Kate variations. ♥
    Wanting to be pregnant.