Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I had seen it spelled as "Caelainn" in one book that I have (book of Irish names published in the UK), although many of the books seem to have their own distinct opinions on spelling and pronunciation for some names. I also have seen the spelling "Caoilainn" or "Caolainn" in several places as the authentic version of the name? I also like the pronunciation kale-in better than kay-lin, and I have seen both mentioned. Is it a matter of dialect? I would not want to use a traditional name intentionally and be saying it incorrectly.

If I use Aislinn, I'm inclined to spell it that way. I've read that while "Aisling" is the more traditional spelling, "Aislinn" is also used in Ireland? I don't want to make up a spelling or use one that's been adopted in the US but is not used in Ireland and/or is not the intended spelling of the name. Just my personal preference.
    Last edited by need_a_name; December 28th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.

I was feeling a better about the name Aislinn, pronounced ash-lin. That is, until I started reading some boards on another site. I would never post my names for opinion or judgement on that other site, but reading some comments on another's post of the same name made me frustrated and discouraged. Do you think many people in the general public would pronounce is "ace-lin" (as the posts on this other board suggest)? Or could it be a simple matter of me correcting and moving on? Anyone with first hand experience with the name or know girls with this name? I'm not sure where it is now in my personal ranking, but I was really starting to come around to it and it's in my husband's top two. Thanks for your thoughts!

For those of you who like or even love Maeve, how do you feel about the meaning? And the supposed story behind the name? Is this a name with negative connotations in Ireland because of this??? My husband was/is starting to come around to the name. However, I'm now finding myself questioning the meaning and possible connotations with this name, which he didn't like from the start. I just don't know why choosing a girl name is proving so challenging for us!

Congratulations! I have Irish/Scottish heritage too and I love Celtic names (although disappointingly my family members mainly have dull, traditional Irish-Catholic names - Mary, Anne, Patrick etc.).

I'd second/suggest:
    Eilidh (AY-lee. Technically, it's Scottish but generally labelled as 'Celtic')
    Maireaid
    Mhairi (I've also seen Mari/Mairi)
    Tierney
    Emer (ee-meh)
    Clodagh (clo-dah, with a long O sound like Chloe)
    Orla (original spelling Orlaith)
    Aoife (EE-feh)
    Tara
    Ailsa (ayl-sah, another Scottish one)
    Sorcha
    Fionnuala (fin-oh-lah or fin-oo-lah, it might be a Finlay/Fiona compromise? I've also seen it spelt Finola)
    Saoirse (see-uh-shah)
    Maire (alternatively spelt Maura)

I think they all go well with your boys, but my favourites are probably Emer, Maireaid, Orla and Tierney.
    *Some of my pronunciation explanations aren't that great and they tend to vary from place to place; for best effect, you have to put on a bit of an Irish accent haha.
    Last edited by oliviasarah; December 29th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by need_a_name View Post
    I was feeling a better about the name Aislinn, pronounced ash-lin. That is, until I started reading some boards on another site. I would never post my names for opinion or judgement on that other site, but reading some comments on another's post of the same name made me frustrated and discouraged. Do you think many people in the general public would pronounce is "ace-lin" (as the posts on this other board suggest)? Or could it be a simple matter of me correcting and moving on? Anyone with first hand experience with the name or know girls with this name? I'm not sure where it is now in my personal ranking, but I was really starting to come around to it and it's in my husband's top two. Thanks for your thoughts!
    Was is babynames.co.uk?

Sorry for off topic.