Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Too plain, or is it unexpected enough for this generation?

We just found out dh's grandpa has stage 4 cancer. I thought it would be nice to honor him by naming our son David after him. I know that would mean a lot to my husband and his family. I like the name just fine and I've always loved King David from the bible... I just never thought I would consider using such a "regular guy" name for my son, as I like more unexpected, cool/edgy names. We're considering David either as a first name or a middle name, but this question is more for if we used it as a first name.

Do you think David is too plain, boring, or overused? Or could it be cool or unexpected for this new generation of babies?

What are your overall opinions?
    Mommy to {Éva Natalia} & {Dimitri David} ...now designing a {name} for our next darling...

{ L a d i e s } Saskia : Calypso : Anouk : Sabine : Azélie : Gia : Indie : Sparrow : Chiara : Sapphira : Oceane : Suvi : Viviette : Enya : Apollina : Yara : Scarlett : Baye : Eowyn : Cambria : Calliope : Sarai : Valentina
    { G e n t s } Luca : Anders : Koa : Élan : Amadeo : Oliver : River : Alexei : Shia : Maksim : Aeneas : Wolfgang : Sebastien : Damian : Johannes : Beaudry : Alessio : Croix : Massai

I love David. It's so classy but still casual. I would use it in the first name spot, it would be very unexpected in today's generation of babies. You could call him Davey, which is an unexpected nickname.

Prayers and good thoughts headed your way!
    All the best,
    Shannon

Charlotte Noelle
    Baby boy due February 16th, 2013

To be honest I love the meaning and significance to you and your husband but I find it so plain and I just couldn't bare the thought of a little boy becoming another 'Dave'. I like the nickname Davy and I think that would be super cute but I think 'Dave' is much more likely so for this reason I think it's better as a middle name.

I have also thought about this name because it is a family name on both sides of the family. I do think it is a little plain but I love the significance for you. I would probably use Davis as a FN to honor a David or maybe Davidson in the middle spot.
    My Top Names:
    Bernice, Eugenia, Harlow, Lillian, Rosemarie, Ruby

Alden, Davis, Rudy

My best friend who is currently expecting her first child in July is thinking about using David to honor her father. She would call him Davey as well. Although it is one of my favorite "classic" names, I can't say I wasn't a little disappointed when she told me. I was expecting something cool and unusual from her since her entire family has very uncommon names. She doesn't know the sex yet, but my fingers are crossed for a girl. Because Rowan will have another girl to play with, and her girl name choices are much more unusual.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.