Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The LAST Name

I took my husbands last name even though he is Mexican and there the wives do NOT take the husbands name.. and for the kids they use double barrel names...
    ie.

Mom- Maria Gonzalez Martinez Dad- Lucas Alvarro Salvado

kids will be ________ Alvarro Gonzalez ( the Paternal last name from each side)

BUT as confusing as it is to explain in writing in is even harder in person!!! And I didnt want to have to explain why all of us have different last names!

So I took JUST the paternal last name of my husband and my son has it too... so at least there is some cohesion!!!
    His last name makes me feel a lot more exotic! hahaha!
    boys names drive me crazy!

I do a good bit of digging into the family ancestry in my genealogy work (which has taken a back seat now with 3 kids) & when I put data into the tree the woman's maiden name is always used. I.E. going years back..I have it written as Mildred Falk & William Troelsen & more often than not, when you look in genealogy records you will always find the maiden name in CAPS. So from a genealogy standpoint, this creating a new surname instead of taking your husbands or keeping your maiden is like commiting genealogy suicide! The surname is a big key in finding the previous generation.

If there can be degrees of feminists, I am probably "more feminist" than most of my friends, and they were surprised that I changed my last name after marriage. But that's the beauty of feminism-- I had choices, and I made the choice that suited me the best. We could have chosen a new name together. He could have taken mine. There is no one way to go and to each their own when it comes to this issue, I think. (But @mrstrivette makes an interesting point!)

My mom did not take my dad's last name because it sounds terrible with her first name and she had no interest in using her middle. My sister and I have her last as a second middle and we appreciate the connection to her side of the family. I will change my last name depending on how well it flows with my name.

Quote Originally Posted by mrstrivette View Post
    I do a good bit of digging into the family ancestry in my genealogy work (which has taken a back seat now with 3 kids) & when I put data into the tree the woman's maiden name is always used. I.E. going years back..I have it written as Mildred Falk & William Troelsen & more often than not, when you look in genealogy records you will always find the maiden name in CAPS. So from a genealogy standpoint, this creating a new surname instead of taking your husbands or keeping your maiden is like commiting genealogy suicide! The surname is a big key in finding the previous generation.
    You're right to a point. If all of the members of a family marry someone from within the same "naming culture" then you will have a more straightforwardly named set of ancestors. However, as backtomyroots said, different cultures have different customs around names. As the world becomes more globalized and people move around and marry people of different cultures, different names and ways of naming people will arise and family trees will be more and more complex.