Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The LAST Name

I'd love to change it, and I see nothing wrong with changing or not changing it. The whole Patriachal thing is blah, to me. I don`t see it as such an issue nowadays. I like the idea of having a family unit as one with the same surname.
    However, I am shallow. Lol If it was something very unattractive, such as Gassi (which I know of a woman who marries and took on this surname) then I'd probably pass. Also, if it's something that is so far-fetched from my ethnicity, such as Wu, or Balasubraniam, names that would cause great surprise when people actually met me.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    I'd love to change it, and I see nothing wrong with changing or not changing it. The whole Patriachal thing is blah, to me. I don`t see it as such an issue nowadays. I like the idea of having a family unit as one with the same surname.
    However, I am shallow. Lol If it was something very unattractive, such as Gassi (which I know of a woman who marries and took on this surname) then I'd probably pass. Also, if it's something that is so far-fetched from my ethnicity, such as Wu, or Balasubraniam, names that would cause great surprise when people actually met me.
    Exactly, for me. It wasn't a looming feminist issue, by any means. I already had degrees and professional licenses that would be a hassle (though by no means impossible) to retrofit and just couldn't be bothered. My husband, too, is Arab, and his last name would sound slightly ludicrous on me.

Of note-- in Arabic culture it's customary for the woman to change not only her surname, but also her middle name. All children, boys and girls, are given their father's first name as their middle (so your name would be Jessica George Taylor, daughter of George Taylor, for example). When you marry, you take your husband's first name as your middle (I.e. you become Jessica Peter Smith, wife of Peter Smith). It's a holdover from the relatively recent days when the Arabic-speaking world did not have inherited surnames, just huge genealogical trees where you were Name son of Name son of Name...ad infinitum.

Obviously that was not if interest.

Honestly, in my circle of friends, I would say perhaps 10-15% changed their names after marriage.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

The tradition in my family, if you are a girl, is to take your maiden name and add your married surname to it as well. So I have a sboule barrelled surname. My children just take their daddy's surname but Eliska, Naomi and Scarlett (if they want to) will take their maiden name and married name together.
    Bree
    Proud mama to..

Eliska Seraphine (b. 3rd March 2001)
    Gabriel Blake 'Gabe' (b. 12th May 2008)
    Naomi Sage (b. 22nd August 2010)
    Scarlett Rowena (b. 28th September 2012)
    Murphy Atticus (b. 28th September 2012)

Top Choices:
    Coralie Nell ~ Juliette Rue ~ Claira Mae
    Willard Pasha ~ Hugo Elliott ~ River Thackeray

I'm not married and won't be until I'm 18, but I will take my boyfriends surname. For me it's because of tradition, the way I've been raised. I like the idea of the whole family having the same surname, and therefore I will take his surname
    ~ Ashley ~
    Getting married in June, 2015

Girls: Phoebe Elizabeth, Ivy Teresa, Josephine Grace
    Boys: Michael Ryan, Jethro Nicholas, Felix Everett, Noah Robert

I have an annoyingly common last name and if I say it, most are like "Oh, are you related to so and so?" So if and when I get married I'd most-likely change my last name and wouldn't hypanate or use a second middle name because I would then have two sickenly common middle names (my last name is also a normal first name and my neighbour has it so our conversations go like "Hey Greg" "Hey Greg".) So in conclusion, I'd change my last name. Plus, I've got male cousin's with my last name to carry it on, so I'm safe.