Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The LAST Name

I took DH's last name because I didn't have any real attachment to my own. It was a left over from a dead beat dad, so no big loss. His was harder to spell and is less common, but it meant a lot to him when I took it. I finished my education and used my maiden name for my diploma though. I worked most of the way through school with it and I wanted it to be my last big accomplishment with my maiden name attached.

good question! I'm not married yet, but when I am, I plan on taking his name. I love my last name, but I think part of marriage and joining together is taking his name. However, I see why you would keep your name because of your career or other children from a previous relationship, or dozens of other scenarios. But my "life plan" is to get married in my early twenties when I don't have much of a career yet, or children, etc.

edit: just thought I'd add...we have been together for a long time and I already feel like a member of his family, so maybe that's part of it? I feel comfortable now saying I am having a "Smith" family Christmas with them and the likes.
    Last edited by encore; January 3rd, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

My mother changed her name to my dad's, but still used her maiden when convenient (mostly paying bills with my grandmother, etc.)
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

I switched to my husbands purely because its a more attractive name and my old one was quite clunky and difficult.

Love this thread, and love seeing everyones opinions!
    Well, for me, the decision is easy. I'm getting married in April and I will of course be taking my other halfs name. His name is so common, and my maiden name isn't common or unusual either (tree name). I have no personal connection to my maiden name, I have no bond with my father, who I only met a couple of years ago anyway and I haven't spoken or seen him for well over two years as he and I do not get along. I do not like him let alone love him, so changing my surname to my future husbands who loves me seems the natural way to go. My sister has a different father, so she has noconnection to the name either. She has also married and taken on her husbands name anyway. My father will not have any more children, so once he and his mother and father (my paternal grandmother and grandfather) pass away there will be no name carried on from this family. My mother has the same name even though my mother and father have not been together since I was a toddler, but she will probably change hers back to her maiden name after I am married, so none of us on this side will have the name anymore.
    Sorry for rambling on a bit! I hope I haven't bored anyone to sleep... I think it is a personal choice between the couple and the individual, and people have to be aware of any difficulties such as pronunciation and spelling where different cultures are concerned. X
    Hala
    Proud Mummy to Kyan & Connor xxx