Names Searched Right Now:

Having a little trouble with the right name

I know there's a writer's corner but it doesn't get much traffic and since I'm trying to get some writing done I was hoping for a little help if you berries don't mind

I need a name for a main character's longtime personal maidservant. At the beginning of the story she has fallen very ill and her daughter has taken her place as Amadahy's maid. The maidservant has been like a mother to Ami her whole life. She started out as her wet nurse and nanny and later, after difficulties birthing one of her children she is no longer able to have more and so she cannot provide wet nursing services anymore she spends a short amount of time as a house maid but Amadahy requests her as her personal maid and so she really spends most of her life with her. Ami trusts her more than anyone and loves her a great deal.

She is small and swarthy with thick black hair barely streaked with silver despite her age and lively black eyes (sort of gypsy like in coloring, appearance etc.) She is wise, serene, peaceful, strong (almost guru like, if you will). She is descended from an ancient race of fierce desert nomads. Her grandmother was kidnapped and taken as a slave four generations ago. Her grandmother's wisdom, stories, and traditions (so far as she knew them when she was taken) were passed down secretly. While she is technically still a slave she is viewed with respect among other slaves and servants and is generally referred to by most of the staff and even the household as a servant. Her unwavering loyalty has bought her daughter's (albeit low class) freedom and one of them now serves as Ami's maid.

I need her to have a short name, no more than three to five letters at the most (I really want a three letter name though) and one to two syllables. The two daughters relevant to the storyline are Isa and Ula.

Cross-posting from your original thread; tried to think of vaguely motherly-sounding names with some backbone.

Tsura
    Eki
    Onna
    Kam
    Qava
    Rya
    Arqa
    Emba
    Qaali
    Yola
    Ramla
    Xona
    Nyn
    Kovi
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

My first thought when reading your description of the character was the name Nenna. I think it has the uni-cultural sound and to me sounds like a faithful and affectionate caregiver.
    Other ideas...
    Alo (Hopi, "spiritual guide")
    Elsu
    Isi (Choctaw, "deer")
    Luyu
    Sani (Navajo, "the old one")
    Leal (French, "faithful")
    Nomsa (Zulu, "caring one, faithful")
    Wafi (Arabic, assoc. w/faithfulness)
    Wila (Hawaiian, "loyal")
    Ilo (Nigerian, "joy")
    Zoa (from the Greek root,"life")

Exotic and short, I'll tackle it ^_^

3 letters:

Aba
    Afi
    Ama
    Ara
    Bly
    Dov
    Eda (means "tiny flame")
    Elu
    Ena
    Het (light from the sun)
    Jia
    Kia
    Lae
    Loe
    Lux
    Mab
    Oja
    Oma
    Ona
    Ora
    Rin
    Tai
    Umi
    Uta
    Xia
    Xin
    Zsa

4 letters:

Adia
    Aira
    Alba
    Anvi
    Azra
    Bala
    Bena
    Ceri
    Chay
    Ebba
    Efia
    Etsu
    Heti
    Ivie
    Kata
    Kita
    Lael
    Mala
    Muna
    Myra
    Nyla
    Orva
    Ovia
    Rana
    Reza
    Rowa
    Runa
    Teva
    Zeva
    Zita
    Zuza

Do you like any of those?
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

peanut I like Isi but I feel like it's to close to her daughter Isa. I also like Wila, Ilo, and Zoa (I really like the sound of Zoa!)

dantea I like Ita but again I'm afraid it's really quite close to Isa. I like Rin and Xia, too and I find Bala and Chay both kind of interesting.

Blade I like Onna but I have a friend named Ona and so that might be weird.