Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    Thanks Flick. Ninevah is too biblical for my taste, but I do like:

Lilivere
    Liriel
    Xanthippe
    Kulali

Thanks ^_^ Do you have meanings for them?

Xanthippe was the wife of Socrates, I believe - I could be wrong, I don't know a ton about the actual origins of the name. Liriel is from a novel, but I want to say it has roots in Hebrew - possibly relating to Liron, though I could be wrong about that, too. Lilivere is a smush. Kulali is a place name, I believe.

See, I have this giant journal I used to write down names in when I first became interested in names and I never wrote down meanings and I have collected meanings and origins over the years, but I haven't found one for all the names I have in there. I can't even be sure that all of the ones I have in there are even legit. When I get bored, I tend to open it and research the missing ones.

Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    Xanthippe was the wife of Socrates, I believe - I could be wrong, I don't know a ton about the actual origins of the name. Liriel is from a novel, but I want to say it has roots in Hebrew - possibly relating to Liron, though I could be wrong about that, too. Lilivere is a smush. Kulali is a place name, I believe.

See, I have this giant journal I used to write down names in when I first became interested in names and I never wrote down meanings and I have collected meanings and origins over the years, but I haven't found one for all the names I have in there. I can't even be sure that all of the ones I have in there are even legit. When I get bored, I tend to open it and research the missing ones.
    According to wiki, the etymology of Xanthippe means "yellow horse", but I think we can all agree that wiki is questionable at best, lol.

Ah Well that's fine. Even though Lilivere is a smush, it's pretty ^_^
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    Ah Well that's fine. Even though Lilivere is a smush, it's pretty ^_^
    I'm a huge sucker for elaborate smushes - Annevieve, Lilisandra, Madelaine, Hannevieve.....

I owe most of these names to saracita00. I admired a list of unusual boys' names she posted, and she kindly sent me some more. Many of them are cultural variations of familiar names, but they're changed enough to look and feel exotic--for example, Ruggiero and Rogelio are forms of Roger. Once I realized that, I started looking at the variations listed in my baby name books and realized it could be quite a goldmine, especially if you're looking for weird/unusual/rare character names!

Aquilo/Aquilas/Aquileo
    Rysio (a form of Rhys?)
    Dalziel
    Rheinallt
    Renzo (short form of Lorenzo?)
    Enando (short form of Ferdinando, etc.?)
    Ruggiero
    Rogelio
    Ardziv (I don't really have a guess about this one...)
    Donardo (a form of Donald, perhaps?)
    Pierrel
    Piero
    Petros
    Petru (forms of Peter)
    Adolar (don't know...)
    Daxiat
    Ciptriano
    Isandro
    Porfirio (a saint's name, I think...cool, isn't it?)
    Txanton
    Tirian (a Narnian prince, from C.S. Lewis's "Chronicles"--from whence he derived it, I do not know...)
    Quinndon
    Paladin (word name--one of my favorites from this list!)
    Balendin (wait--I think saracita wrote me that a few of these came from you! I'll see if I can remember which those were!)
    Nairn
    Zahn
    Istivan (a form of Steven?)
    Eldrian
    Wystan
    Aarohan

You might like these, too. I collected them myself and found them fascinating. We live near several Russian communities, and these names come from that culture. I love the ones, like Kornily, whose origins (in this case Cornelius) are evident but not apparent till you take a second look.

Boys:

Kiril
    Ilesay
    Dimitian
    Dimian
    Anisim
    Dimitry
    Ilia
    Lazary/Lazar
    Iosif
    Trofim
    Akaky
    Autonom/Avtonom
    Safrony/Safron/Sofron
    Spiridon
    Fedos
    Arseny
    Ilarion
    Kornily/Cornily/Karnely
    Nazary
    Anatoly
    Dionici
    Gavreel/Gavriil
    Irmil
    Nikit
    Onicifor
    Porifry (a form of Porfirio--see above--or I miss my guess!)
    Trifily
    Vasily/Vasilie
    Felemon/Filimon
    Andrean
    Artemon
    Siveryan
    Trifon
    Afimi
    Edesy
    Nestor (!!)

Girls (they all end in A!):

Ksenia
    Fetinia
    Pelagia/Palagayia (related to the word pelagic, I should think?)
    Zina
    Taisia
    Varvara
    Ekaterina
    Antonina
    Uliania
    Agapia
    Zinovia
    Zinaida
    Ulita
    Domanika
    Iona
    Irina
    Efimia
    Fidosyia
    Daria
    Kapitilana
    Natalia
    Vanessa
    Efrasia
    Anfisa
    Luba

Whew. I've been waiting for a good chance to post those Russian names! Enjoy!
    Last edited by auroradawn; December 23rd, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet