Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I crossed Violet off the list because I heard Violent. Which makes me sad because I had really liked it .

I've never associated the name Violet with the world violent. If someone named Violet turned out to be incredibly violent then I'm sure a connection would be made but I don't think it's anything to worry about. Violet Katz doesn't bother me. I guess because people don't usually use the word violet to describe something, they usually use purple. If your last name were actually spelled Cats then I think it would be a problem but I actually like the look of Violet Katz. As for nicknames, my favorite one for Violet has always been Lettie.

Also, I don't think it's weird to give your child a first name that doesn't have a special meaning attached to it. Personally, I think way too many people try way too hard to make the names they choose for their children "meaningful". Choosing a name you love is meaning enough.

Thanks for all the responses! I think enough people think that Violet Katz sounds like purple cats that it'll have to go off my list for potential first names. It's a shame because I actually think that Katz is an adorable last name that sounds and looks so cute with my favorite vintage charm names. Any others that you think would be nice with Katz as a last and Sofia as a middle, or even just some kind of an S name in there somewhere?

As far as the Sofia thing goes, I'm not too worried about it being an obvious connection to my grandfather, Sol, because we'll do that for the baby's Hebrew name. In English, having a first letter connection (or meaning connection) is really all we need. If Sophia weren't in the #1 spot (or let's be honest, the first 30-50 names at the least) I'd use it as a first name in a heartbeat. But I just can't bring myself to do that, no matter how much I love a name. The real trouble is finding an English name that would work for naming after my more recently deceased grandfather, Bernie. The only B name I like is Beatrice and DH hates it with a passion. Another option would be a name that means "strong", "brave", or "bear", but there's really nothing out there that I can find. I've pretty much given up on that front.

Hmmm - maybe....

Audrey Sofia Katz
    Virginia Sofie/ Sofia Katz
    Alice Sofia Katz
    Adelaide Sofia Katz
    Dorothy Sofia Katz
    Helen Sofia Katz
    Daphne Sofia Katz
    Penelope Sofia Katz
    Verity Sofia Katz

Quote Originally Posted by steponme View Post
    Thanks for all the responses! I think enough people think that Violet Katz sounds like purple cats that it'll have to go off my list for potential first names. It's a shame because I actually think that Katz is an adorable last name that sounds and looks so cute with my favorite vintage charm names. Any others that you think would be nice with Katz as a last and Sofia as a middle, or even just some kind of an S name in there somewhere?

As far as the Sofia thing goes, I'm not too worried about it being an obvious connection to my grandfather, Sol, because we'll do that for the baby's Hebrew name. In English, having a first letter connection (or meaning connection) is really all we need. If Sophia weren't in the #1 spot (or let's be honest, the first 30-50 names at the least) I'd use it as a first name in a heartbeat. But I just can't bring myself to do that, no matter how much I love a name. The real trouble is finding an English name that would work for naming after my more recently deceased grandfather, Bernie. The only B name I like is Beatrice and DH hates it with a passion. Another option would be a name that means "strong", "brave", or "bear", but there's really nothing out there that I can find. I've pretty much given up on that front.

What about Bethany? It's pretty darned uncommon these days and it goes well with both Sofia and Katz