Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Nicknames and Concerns for Violet

Hello berries! We're still two weeks away from finding out the sex of the baby, but that won't stop this nerd from her pursuit of the perfect name. The other day I came up with the combination Violet Sofia (girls names are much harder for me for some reason) and I love the vintage charm. But as always, there are concerns. I'd love to read your thoughts!

Is it okay to have a first name that is an adjective when our last name is Katz? Do you picture purple cats when you hear the name? DH thinks that's nuts, but I actively had the name off my list for months for this reason.

I really dislike the name Vivian (I know most people here are into it), and that makes me not like the nicknames Vi, Viva, etc. What other nicknames work for Violet? I thought of Via, any others. Just like many of you, an awesome nickname is a must for me!

Does the name make you think of the word "violent"?

Is it weird to have a first name that doesn't have special meaning to us? Sofia is after my grandfather Sol who was a lawyer and very wise. But Violet is just sweet.

Honestly? Violet Katz makes me think of little purple kitties.

I don't personally love Violet, it feels very harsh to me, though I DO think it is a nice name and very usable and will age nicely.

Other than Vi, maybe Lola? Io? Lettie?

I adore Violet! I don't think of violent at all. Personally, I detest nicknames. Violet is not long and doesn't need to be shortened. I think it works just fine with your last name. I think it is distinctive. Hope you go for it.

I don't think it'll work with your surname at all. I knew a girl named Summer Day in elementary school, and she hated her name. Don't use adjectives, especially colors, and be careful with any nature names (Magnolia Katz is fine, but I see problems with Rain Katz.)

Thoughts on Violet:
    - I never think of violent; I think of Vile. If you just say the first syllable, you get Vile, and that is possible teasing potential. It also makes me dislike the name (though elegant in it's full form).
    -Vila (vie-luh) is my favorite nickname for Violet- though Vio works, too.

I can see how you get Sol from Sofia, but it isn't obvious. What about Marisol, Isolde, Solana, Solange (So-lanz), Soleil (so-lay), Soledad or Salome. Some names meaning 'sun' are: Cyra, Eliana, Helia, Kalinda, Kalindi, Mehri, Siria and Suria. Any one of those could honor your grandfather.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I think Violet is a beautiful name. I don't think of any negative words when I say it, unlike others. I think Lettie is a cute nickname.

BUT, I agree that with your last name it's a little strange. I would keep on the hunt! As far as middles, I think you can do whatever you want as far as significance or the lack thereof.