Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Adelvice

Oh dear. Someone get that off the site before it gives people yooneek ideas >.>

Ha! When I saw the post title, I thought some punny person was asking for ad-vice on Adele......
    Obsessing over names since 1964

Quote Originally Posted by jmo2 View Post
    I would agree with you, except that, the musical/movie Sound of Music has made that very familiar to English countries.
    This is the only reason I know it exists, and I took German for a year.

Adelvice is how I spelled it in my head for YEARS until someone corrected me, because I had the occasion to use it in a conversation with a fellow Sound of Music fan who was housing a German exchange student at the time.

I don't see at all how this is a version of Adelaide, unless someone saw Adelaide and decided 'Hey, ya know, I like the beginning, but would rather change the ending to something with a bit more of a negative connotation.'

Edelweiss is a much prettier spelling anyway, an accomplishment for a German word. I think it would be quite usable as a name with the actual spelling; people would get used to it and learn a bit of German pronunciation/spelling at the same time. Everyone wins!
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

It doesn't even look like it spells Edelweiss to me, it just looks like someone made it up. Maybe Aidlevice instead
    I have to say, though, that being on a census record doesn't make it a name, IMO - just because one person couldn't spell Edelweiss in the past (or even several people - hey, they didn't have internet) doesn't make it legitimate. I don't know where the line should be drawn, because obviously there's no hard and fast rules for names, but ... this just seems wrong.
    Caity
    Mom of Violet Isabelle, George Quincy, & Mae Elizabeth
    In the process of adopting #4 from Haiti.
    Current Favorites:
    . Ruby Madeleine . Felicity Catherine . Beatrice Claire . Robin Marie .
    . Harvey Leopold . Albert Darcy . Ralph Montgomery . Edgar Willoughby .

Quote Originally Posted by missmolly View Post
    Ha! When I saw the post title, I thought some punny person was asking for ad-vice on Adele......
    To be honest, I just thought someone completely butchered the word "advice." (Sorry, jamie!)