Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Aloysius

Aloysius

How on earth do you pronounce Aloysius. I just saw it run across the NameBerry banner. My only experience with it is as the name of Sebastian Flyte's stuffed bear in Brideshead Revisited. I've seen 2 film adaptations and I think they may have pronounced it differently in both.

When I read the book, I think I pronounced it Al-oy-zee-us, realized that couldn't possibly be a name and decided it must be Al-oh-ee-shuss but I think neither are correct. Does anyone know?
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

I pronounce it a-loe-ISH-uhs, and I'm British. I know it's pronounced differently in Germany (ah-loi-ZEE-uws).
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I would say 'ah-loee-zee-uss'
    Boys
    Stellan Matthias, Felix Graham, Malcolm Elias, Isaac Noel, Beckett Mattew, Charles Edmund (Charlie), Jude, James Wesley (Jamie), and Thomas Lloyd.
    Considering Archer, Christian, Peter, Orion, Samuel, Quentin, and Alasdair

Girls
    Helena Isabel, Philippa Mary (Pippa), Alice Bryony, Rosamund Lark (Rose), Caroline Eva, Freya Madeline, Beatrix Laura, and Diana.
    Considering Violet and Adelaide.

{my listography}

The correct way to pronounce it Al-ah-wish-es. I say Al-U-wish-es. That was my Italian Grandfathers middle name. When I first saw it I had no idea how to say it until I asked my Grandmother. Its a saint which is nice but I would think twice about naming your child that. Teachers, will never get that one right.
    Name lover, trying to find the perfect names.

Al-oh-WISH-us / Al-low-ISH-us (I'm Australian)
    Eliza + Beatrix + Constance + Romilly + Clementine + Freya + Mabel + Agnes + Betty + Margot
    Felix + Ivo + Calloway + Walter + Linus + Otto + August + Hugo + Zebedee + Rollo + Phineas