Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Reactions to Name--It's really not that unusual!

I had a
    I noticed today that the X was mentioned as mainstream in the Nameberry article on unusual nature names. That certainly doesn't seem true here !

Do any of you get similar reactions to your child's not-that-unusual name?
    Last edited by spicemama; February 5th, 2013 at 09:51 AM.

My name and those of my kids are common in certain contexts and very unusual in others, so i've gotten the full range of reactions! people tend to be befuddled in a positive way though - like, they've never heard it before and think its super-exotic, as opposed to finding it ugly or just weird.

I think it depends on where you live but in general "weird" names are less weird than when we were younger.

Maybe people have a strange reaction because of the popularity of River as a male name or maybe they just don't have the social graces to hide the fact that they dislike the name! Either way, it has meaning to you, fits your style- you love it? That's all that matters right now!

I think they're reacting oddly because 'river' is a word they're used to hearing in a nature context and not as a name. If you've never heard it as a name in your life it's going to sound as bizarre as naming a child 'hedge'.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

The above, and it's still rather dominated by River Phoenix, who was, of course, male.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq