Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bradamante?

Bradamante?

This might be baby naming withdrawal, but I'm falling madly in love with Bradamante. It is the name of the female knight in Matteo Maria Boiardo's Orlando Innamorato, Ludovico Ariosto's Orlando Furioso and Handel's Alcina (versions on the Charlemagne legends). The name means wild/untamed + loving/to love, because of her unaffected and genuine love for Ruggiero (another amazing name!). She was really cool, an empowered woman who didn't need rescuing, which feels perfect for my baby. She's basically the same as Britomart in The Faerie Queen (who is also super cool, but less so the name).

So can I use this for Baby? As a first or middle? Other names on our list are Ceridwen, Illyria, Hespera, Tinuviel and Belphoebe.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Bradamante is very intriguing! At first I thought it was a boys' name (don't even know why, it was very unintelligent and unfortunately was unfamiliar with it before, I really need to catch up on all this classic literature!), but now I can only picture it on a little girl. I would use it as a middle, maybe. It is fascinating and has a very appealing, diverse sound that feels substantial and light too. Ceridwen Bradamante ____ or Tinuviel Bradamante _____ would be very nice. Illyria Bradamante _______ would be AMAZING! What about Illyria Bradamante Lark or Illyria Bradamante Melusine? Though the latter is very long. That said, you already have a FABULOUS short list and I don't know if you should change anything! Bradamante is very lovely, though, and has a very light brown and maroon feel (which I love) -- it would be a great choice!

Edit: Would LOVE the middle names Bradamante Fawn with anything on your list! They ALL sound lovely! Even Belphoebe Bradamante is very nice alliteration, in my opinion. My favourite is probably Hespera Bradamante Fawn. That is adorable!
    Last edited by germyflub12; December 15th, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Kirrily, Valencia, Romy, Juliet, Sevilla, Clemency, Kate
    Zachary, Ronan, Milo, Hale, Finn, Lewis

Why not? I recognized her, and I'm sure others might, too. Even if they don't, there's as easy explanation. If boys can be named Orlando, why can't girls be Bradamante? She's lush and literary and unexpected, just like the other choices on your list.

I do wonder - would you use a nickname?

germy: I can see why you thought it was a male name, Brad is the first syllable after all. Great combo suggestions too! Hespera Bradamante Fawn would be wonderful.

abby: I'm not really a nickname person, but as my other choices have grown with me, they have developed nicknames. If my love for Bradamante endures, I'm sure a nickname will emerge!

Glad to know you guys like it. I was thinking of Bradamante Litha Pareerou...
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Bradamante Litha Pareerou is pretty, but I feel as though Litha doesn't fit and the long E sound in it clashes a bit with Pareerou. I have a bit of trouble getting "Bradamante Litha" out, sorry...but I ADORE the idea of Bradamante and Pareerou together! How about:

Bradamante Pareerou Lark
    Bradamante Pareerou Evelake
    Bradamante Pareerou Lune (love this one)
    Bradamante Tindra Pareerou (this one too)
    Bradamante Alcyone Tindra (doesn't include Pareerou but I love the feel of this!)
    Bradamante Pareerou Nephele
    Bradamante Pareerou Maris
    Bradamante Vivdendel Pareerou
    Bradamante Solenne Pareerou (I really like this, though you're already using Ceridwen in Ceridwen Chione Solenne on your short list!)
    Bradamante Terpsichore Pareerou (using this with Illyria on your short list, right?)
    Bradamante Pareerou Charis (on your short list)

Hope this helps a bit!
    Last edited by germyflub12; December 15th, 2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: adding more combos
    Kirrily, Valencia, Romy, Juliet, Sevilla, Clemency, Kate
    Zachary, Ronan, Milo, Hale, Finn, Lewis