Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    We are in a catholic school and I would say that it is mixed. People tend to favor names from their own ethnic backgrounds, and a lot of those names are also saint names. There are about 3 Anthony's in every class. Lots of Michaels, Dominics, Giannas, Isabellas....(very Italian area). There are also lots of traditional names which are often saint names, but not many of the more interesting saint names...no one has a Veronica, Bernadette, or Therese at all. Our family (catholic, obviously) picks very traditional family and saint names, but we have avoided the more out there names as well. Our taste just runs more plain. (We have a John, Paul, Peter, Daniel, Elizabeth....)

I come from an Irish Catholic family living in America. My mom told me there was an unspoken rule that all of my cousins, siblings, and I had to either have saint names or Irish names- which we all do, most of us actually have a combination of the two as our first and middle names. Like the pp, my family stuck to the more traditional saint names- Mary, Patrick, John, Margaret, William, etc. Most of them actually serve to honor my older relatives, most of whom were named after saints, or just happened to work out and be saints names.

My dad's family is Catholic as is most of my mom's family. My dad was born Methodist and when his mom remarried owas baptized Catholic. Out of my Catholic cousins we have an Andrew, a Matthew, an Austin, a Kayleigh, a Mason, a Peyton (g), a Hunter and an Aidan.
    I'm the only one who has a Saint name and it s my middle because my grandmother named me. So I am Erin Elizabeth.
    I'd say anything that used to be a rule is no longer required.

Side note: My boyfriend's nickname is Francis referring to Saint Francis of Assisi.
    If I had a baby right now they'd be:
    Isaac
    or
    Blaire

My family is Catholic and I can say most of my relatives have Saints names, a diminutive of a Saint's name. or a Biblical name from as far back as I know them. I also went to Catholic School and most of the students had a Saint's name somplace in their name. Also, at Confirmation time in the 11th grade, you have to choose a Saint's name for your additional Confirmation name.

Here are some of my relative's names that have Saint's names included somewhere in their names.

Thomas
    Josephine
    Mary
    Anthony
    Francis
    Anne
    Daniel
    Michael
    Bernard
    Christina
    Maria
    James
    Bernadette
    John
    Joseph
    Andrew
    Phillip
    Patrick
    Margaret

I am Catholic and teach at a Catholic high school... I think the former "rule" (which was really just a strong tradition, not a dogmatic requirement) is definitely relaxed and most Catholic children seem to be named similarly to mainstream trends. I do notice, however, among the subgroup that is actively trying to use a saint's name, the trend has been toward more uncommon saints' names or even saints' surnames or the names of places associated with them. I know kids from Catholic families purposely named for saints:

Kateri
    Kolbe (St Maximilian's surname)
    Sebastian
    Lawrence
    Jacinta
    Francis
    Gemma
    Faustina
    Vincent
    Anastasia
    Josephine
    Isaiah
    Tobias
    Maximilian
    Gianna
    Pio
    Helen
    Lourdes (hometown of St Bernadette)
    Malia (Hawaiian for Mary)
    Cecelia
    Therese
    Martha
    Agnes
    Bernadette
    Felicity
    Ignatius
    Athanasius (really...and he goes by the full thing, no nn!)
    Normandie (region where Lisieux, birthplace of St Therese, is located)
    Gabriel
    Margaret
    Last edited by nouvelle; December 28th, 2012 at 01:46 AM.