Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Nicknames vs Full Names?

If you plan on calling a child by a nickname, is it better to make their legal name the full name or the nickname?

DH and I are planning on shorter names for our children: Jude, Molly, Lily, etc. But with our short last name (Rey), I worry that having short first names might sound awkward. Because of this, I would prefer to give them longer names: Judah, Margaret, Lillian, etc. in order to flow better.

Are there any opinions on what would be better/sound better? also, how do I convince DH that longer names are OK?

Thanks in advance

Personally I prefer giving full names and then just call the kids by their nicknames.
    Nicknames are nicknames for a reason, it's sweet and affectionate versions of the full name.
    It must be so boring for a Dolly for instance, instead of naming her Dolores (or whatever) and then nicknaming her Dolly, she'll have to live with a nickname and most likely wont have a nickname because a nickname for a nickname just sounds silly.
    It's also kind of hard to take a President Dolly *something* serious. I often refer to Prince Harry of Wales' old girlfriend, Chelsy. That would just never work, Princess Chelsy? I don't think so.
    But that's just my opinion
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

I feel like there was a similar discussion earlier this week. You might enjoy reading the posts in that thread.

Personally I'm for a formal given name and separate nick names. I particularly enjoyed being able to change my masculine nn to a more feminine one when I was starting college and I went from my tomboy only phase to a girly-er me.

Link to other thread: http://nameberry.com/nametalk/threads/114609-Nicknames?highlight=nicknames
    Last edited by lexiem; December 12th, 2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added link
    Endora & Lorelei
    trying to narrow down.....Dexter, Victor, Gideon, Hendrik, Oberon, Cedric
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)]

thank you for the link!

I prefer giving the full name and just using a nickname. That being said, if you genuinely despise the full name and/or another common nickname of it, I could see justification for just using the nn as a given name. I had a friend in school that was just Christie because her mom loathed the idea that she'd wind up getting called Tina.

I think it also depends on the name. Some nicknames are almost always assumed to be nicknames, while others are more commonly used on their own. Of the ones you listed, I think Lily is the best as a stand-alone name and Molly in most need of a full name back-up. Jude sounds the most choppy with a short last name since it's the one that's the shortest on its own.

Judah and Lillian would give the kid another option should he/she want it later in life. Margaret not only is a really solid, adult-sounding name itself, it is a wealth of nicknames.