Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Honestly my first thought when I saw your subject was Calvin and Hobbes. I don't think it makes it unusable, but it's definitely still a very strong connection that most people will think of. So if that bothers you, it's best to move on to other names.
    Switching careers and becoming an RN! Sadly mommy plans will have to wait until that's done. Still loving names though!

Hobbes is the name of my giant tiger-looking orange tabby cat so it makes it hard for me to picture on a child. That and the character from Calvin and Hobbes.

I didn't think of Calvin and Hobbes at all. But I still don't like it. If I were a little boy, I would not like to be named Hobbes. If I were a grown man I would like even less to be named Hobbes. I just don't like it as a first name at all.

I have to agree with your husband, unfortunately. Hobbes is all the tiger from Calvin and Hobbes to me. I think that it would be fine as a middle name, but it doesn't quite work as a first name for me. I much prefer Oscar. I'm not familiar with the character from The Office, but I feel like Oscar is a fairly familiar name and has a lot of different references.

I believe that Hobbes was derived from Robert (http://www.houseofnames.com/Hobbes-history?A=54323-292 and http://www.behindthename.com/name/hob), so perhaps as a compromise you could find a form of Robert that you like and use Hobbes as a nickname? Robert is a bit plain next to Cowen and Eli, but maybe something like Robinson or Robbins?

My main asociation with the name Hobbes is the philosopher, whom I have a negative opinion of. I'd recommend reading some Hobbes before going with the name.

Annora Juliet, Elspeth, Verity, Zelda, Josephine, Marianne, Rosemary Constance
    Edmund Henry, Wesley, Jonah, Gilbert, August, Winston, Hugh Theodore