Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Names for same-sex parents?

Been thinking a bit about this recently and I suppose now is as good a time as any to ask it. What are the best names, from experience or just your theoretical opinion, for same sex female parents? I called my own mother Mamá or Mamita a lot of the time, so I was thinking I could be one of those (most likely Mamá as I think Mamita is a bit long) and my other half could be just Mum (we're English, so no Mom!) but I don't know if those sound distinct enough (Mama has the emphasis on the second syllable), or if it would just be confusing when she calls for us.

Does anyone have any alternatives?

This is a really good question. Two of my best friends are trying this month to get inseminated and I doubt they've addressed the issue of both being Mommy/Mama/etc. It would definitely be helpful to have distinct names so when the kid calls out for one or the other, they'll know who s/he means!

Well, my experience with same-sex couples and their children were both men, but it could work the same for you. They were simply called Daddy C and Daddy B , which I thought was cute. or sometimes DC and Dad.

You could do Mummie A and Mummie B or whatever your initials are could work nicely. Like if your name is Jennifer -- MJ.

Or maybe one could be one thing and the other something else like out of these names (other language words for mom included):

Mum
    Mummy
    Marmee (saw this on another site and I think it's cute)
    Mumma
    Mutti (moot-ee)
    Mama
    Lala (a little girl at the daycare calls her mother this)

Or you could just wait till the childs old enough to make it's own decision about what to call you ^_^
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

kungfualex - For us this pregnancy was a complete shock, long story, so we never really expected to be addressing this question, it only dawned on me this week that we can't both be mummy! Hopefully whatever we come up with will be useful to your friends too, good luck to them

dantea - some great ideas there, thank you! Mutti is the German word for mum I think, yes? That would be quite nice as my other half is 1/4 German. I thought about just letting our little girl make up her own mind, but until she's able to figure all that out I want to be able to at least refer to us as something when talking to her.
    Last edited by elehol; December 2nd, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Yes, Mutti is German for mum/mama (Mutter for Mother). That would be a great plan. Use your heritage to determine what the baby calls you. I'm part Cherokee and this babies grandparents will be Alisi and Eduda (Cherokee words) so maybe that'd work for you?

She could be Mutti and you could be Mum. They sound similar but different enough to work.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014