Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

opinions on hebrew/israeli names! (or ideas for others I'm not thinking of)

I have a three year old daughter named Orly Sarah.
    I LOVE hebrew and israeli names, especially ones that are easy for non-hebrew speakers to pronounce (we do not speak Hebrew)

If we have a boy, his name will be Avi Benjamin, and that is decided.
    but if we have a girl, there's a big ?
    the middle name for a girl will probably be Basha for a family member

current ones I like:
    Yael
    Adina
    Lena
    Libby
    Tova
    Aviva
    Avital
    Lilah (porobably to mainstream for me)
    Shoshannah

any opinions? or other ideas?

I love Noa for a girl
    Hopeless romantic and proud momma of two princesses:
    Isabella Jane & Vanessa Rose

Hebrew names are so tricky in terms of choosing the right name for the right generation. I don't know of any Hebrew name sites that track that sort of thing (it sure would help me if one existed). Other than Lena and Lilah, I know so many people of my generation (I'm nearing 30--or even my parents' generation) with those names that I have no clue what name hits the right note.

Personally, Yael is my favorite. I love the English version, Joelle, and I think that name fits right on trend with all the English -elle names out there these days. And I just think that the sound of Yael is very pretty, and it works nicely with Basha. I've also always loved Shoshana, but I'm not convinced that it flows with Basha.

That said, Israeli names and traditional Hebrew names are very different. In Israel, gender neutral names are all the rage--much much more so than in the US. There are little girls in my synagogue with names like Uri, Raz, Simcha, Hallel, etc. But I don't sense that those names are your style, especially considering your lovely and traditional Ari Benjamin choice.

That said, maybe you are interested in something different? Orly Sarah is stunning! I would just be careful to make sure that the name flows well with Basha. A lot of the names that end in an -a don't sound that great with Basha. Other ideas that don't end in an -a (favorites starred):

Ayelet*
    Avigail (especially considering how popular Abigail is here)
    Livnat
    Ma'ayan/Mayan*
    Meirav*
    Michal
    Rut or Ruti (Ruth/ie)
    Sharon
    Shirel*
    Shoshan
    Tali
    Tamar (though to be honest, I never much liked this name)

Oh weird! I just made a thread about the name Nevona, which is a hebrew name meaning "intelligent, wise, clever".

I like Yael, Adina, and Avivia, as well as steponme's suggestion of Ayelet. Michal is beautiful, but really hard for American's to pronounce. Shoshannah is another favorite, but it's not the best with Basha.

Other possibilities:
    Peninah
    Liora
    Ilana
    Yaffa