Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain Relief

Quote Originally Posted by scarlettrobin View Post
    I thought when they do the catheter thing, they are supposed to leave it in. They didn't when I was at the hospital. I don't know if that's normal or I just had a nurse that wanted me to suffer lol.
    The urinary catheter should be left in as long as the epidural is in place. Most places, once the baby is born, you're doing well, and any lacerations have been repaired, the epidural is removed before you leave the L&D suite to go to your room. You are given a set amount of time (usually 6-8hrs) to urinate on your own, to make sure your bladder muscle has recovered its function. If you are unable to do so, the catheter is replaced. It's very common to have a transient inability to urinate (just guestimately wildly, I'd say 30% of my surgery patients need it to be replaced postoperatively if they've had an epidural). Once the anesthetic has well and truly been metabolized out of your system, you will have no problems urinating.

"In and out" catheterization might be used in certain hospitals, where you are cath'd every few hours, but each time you instrument the urinary tract you induce some swelling, so it's less desirable. If it were me, I would request the catheter to be left in place until the show is over.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by zaelia View Post
    Blade, I know you bring a knowledgeable medical perspective, however my personal experience is in stark contrast to what you are describing. I gave birth using nitrous oxide (self-administered during contractions) and successfully pushed both my babies. There was never any trouble coordinating pushing. I also changed positions numerous times during my 9 hour labor without any difficulty (well no more than I had had prior to labor- moving around with a huge twin belly is not exactly the simplest thing). I am not saying I don't believe that nitrous oxide can have the effects you describe, but I wonder if the concentration used here in Europe is different as I am sure they would not be using it if their version produces such drastic effects as you say. I also imagine the effects can vary from person to person.
    I am very glad you found nitrous oxide to be useful for you. It certainly helps some people, or it wouldn't be offered at all. However, it's inferior to other methods of pain relief for two reasons:

1) the chemistry of the way it works is vastly inferior. Unlike narcotics, which act on the most central and universal pain pathway in the body (Mu receptors), or local anesthetics which block nerves from transmitting pain signals at all, the only way NO2 relieves pain is by triggering endorphins, which are weak, natural pain-relieving compounds produced by the body. They're about 5% as effective as the other two routes. Instead, NO2 induces euphoria, dissociation, and amnesia. In short-- it doesn't actually block the pain, it makes you relax and forget about it.

2) the effects are widely, widely variable. Most people get 'loopy' and dissociate from themselves. Self-administration is good, since you obviously have to be with-it enough to give it to yourself. If you've taken too much and are too out of it to give yourself more, you won't get any more, and you'll gradually come back to reality. Since most women are looking to remember every detail of their birth experience, and want to be in full possession of their faculties, it's considered inferior.
    Blade, MD

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

I think there should be an entire forum category dedicated to "Questions for Blade."

@alzora-- thanks much! I worried I was talking too much.
    Blade, MD

Quote Originally Posted by alzora View Post
    I think there should be an entire forum category dedicated to "Questions for Blade."
    I agree! I hope that you stay on nameberry for a long time!

rollo