Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain Relief

Hmm. Good to know ^_^ We'll see what works best for me when it happens. I do appreciate all this insight though. It makes me feel so much less anxious about it all.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I gave birth at a hospital in the US & I was given an IV...not sure if that's standard procedure everywhere but even if I opted for no drugs I still would've been stuck at least that once! It wasn't bad because in the heat of everything else happening I wasn't scared.

I had an epidural & was scared about keeping still if I had a contraction while they were inserting it but I was on a monitor so they were tracking the frequency/likeliness of that & I did fine. It was such a relief for me! I was perfectly able to feel the contractions & push & change positions during my epidural and it didn't hinder me...it was a flexible tube & honestly the catheter was more difficult to maneuver!

I picked the epidural cause it was the only option presented to me that doesn't cross over to the baby.

I didn't end up doing any of the breathing exercises that I practiced! For me, I wanted quiet & calm not repetitive coaching or enthusiasm!

I have a question about the catheter part. Was it supposed to hurt that much? I found it was one of the most painful parts of the whole process. Also are they supposed to keep taking it out and putting it back in? One of the reasons I hated it so much is because I really had to go pee, told the nurse, and she wouldn't put it back in told me that I had to wait several more hours. My bladder was killing me.

I also wanted to add-

Educating yourself about birth is important but I think in the moment you will know what you want & sometimes it will go against the plans you make while pregnant so it's good to remain open to all of these options. I thought I might go natural but wouldn't beat myself up if I wanted an epidural once the pain started. I had my epidural & couldn't be happier with my experience! And like I said I wanted nothing to do with breathing exercises or coaching cause it just didn't feel productive to me. Communication with the people in the room is key. I am so glad I was able to express that I wanted quiet & calm! And I got really lucky with my nurse! I was surprised that my doctor was only there for the grand finale! If I had the money I would hire a doula so I could have some say on who was in the room in a more professional sense in case I don't get a great nurse next time.

Sorry for the rant!

Quote Originally Posted by scarlettrobin View Post
    I have a question about the catheter part. Was it supposed to hurt that much? I found it was one of the most painful parts of the whole process. Also are they supposed to keep taking it out and putting it back in? One of the reasons I hated it so much is because I really had to go pee, told the nurse, and she wouldn't put it back in told me that I had to wait several more hours. My bladder was killing me.
    Mine only went in once. It didn't hurt because the put the catheter in post epidural. I also didn't get pitocen until after the epidural so it wasn't so bad.

The in & out thing sounds strange to me.