Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain Relief

It wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor about it as well. It's likely if you get an epidural that you'll be attached to continuous fetal monitoring and IV fluids and may get a urinary catheter as well.

I wouldn't think the aversion to needles should be a problem, though. As stated, the actual epidural will be going on behind you and you certainly don't need to watch while they're placing the IV.

And yes, tattoos are pretty shallow in the skin. Not to mention that you're free to eat (and encouraged to) prior to getting tattooed. Blood draws, depending on what it's for, sometimes require fasting. Some hospitals restrict eating/drinking during labor as well. For me, it's not so much a fear of needles or blood, but more that when I have low blood sugar, even minor pain can cause me to faint. It still can be very different psychologically--size of needle, depth of penetration, amount of blood visible, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Thank you alzora-- happy to help!

Rollo, so sorry. It's not a terribly common
    problem, but I assume you've undergone subsequent adhesiolysis?
    Blade you are a real help to our nameberries great to have your input. The doctors avoid surgery on me like the plague so I just grin and bear it when I have attacks due to adhesions the best way I can. Thanks for your insight and helpful remarks. Rollo

I will talk to my doctor, probably and me appointment after this one. I'll be 18 weeks at this next appointment and 22 at the next after that so I think that might be a more appropriate time to talk about it.

This hospital encourages you not to eat once you start having contractions, but won't force it. My mom ate before she went to the hospital, and she was pretty far along in her contractions.

Since I have a pretty good pain tolerance so I'd hope I'd be able to handle the contractions, it was mainly the actual pushing that was bothering me. I'm also worried that I might need an episiotomy. I've been told that they just do those sometimes, but I'd love to hold off until absolutely medically necessary.

The visualization may help if I need it, as well as breathing. I would love to listen to my music, but I'd be worried I'd miss something the doctors tried to tell me.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Another question for anyone who cares to chime in (I don't mean to take over your thread, dantea, but this is an interesting topic):

Does the IV have to go in the back of the hand, or can I request (insist) that it be placed elsewhere, somewhere that isn't so boney and sensitive? I know that in the midst of labor I probably won't care about it much at all, but I just see it being a HUGE distraction and source of irritation/disgust if it's in my hand.

No, Alzora, you and everyone else feel free to ask any question you like. You may ask something I didn't think of for myself.

Personally, the IV won't bother me as the only way anyone has managed to take blood from me in the last several years is through the back of my hand :P
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014