Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting find...

I was just looking at how popular my favourites are and scouring the the rankings (UK) and it appears that the majority fall into the the top 200 or well outside the top 1000 (the name will have been used between 3-20 times in the year). It seemed slightly odd to me that I'd love so many popular names, yet also so many unique names.

I guess my style is a little more varied than I first thought! Popularity is a pretty big thing for me, so it did surprise me to see this but I guess if you love a name that's all that matters.

My long list ranges from the popular Freya, Isaac, Jude and Matilda to the unique Pandora, Atlas, Echo, Jacoby, Hero and Shoshana.

Do you have a real mix in styles and popularity and does it bother you when choosing a name or adding to your list?

My favourites boys names at the popular end are; Caleb, Elijah, Finlay, Gabriel, Isaac, Jude, Jenson, Kian, Luca, Noah, Riley, Sebastian and Zachary. While at the other end they are; Atlas, August, Bennett, Dakota, Everett, Jacoby, Knox, McKinley, Rourke and Sutton! Would it work to have an Isaac & Everett even when one is top 50 and the other is rarely used? Or is it OK if they fit a similar style?

Man, do I like a variety of names! Funny thing is, I don't actually like the style, per se. I only like the particular name I like. For example, I like the name Parker (on a boy). I am not, however, a fan of Archer, Booker, or Harper, most likely considered similar names. I just add a name to my list if I like it, regardless of its style.
    I do not think it matters much where the names are on the popularity charts. My name was the top name for the year I was born, while my sisters were in the 300s. I actually find it in bad taste to name children only top, trendy names (i.e. Isabella and Sophia). A variety is healthy
    Proud author of Kissimmee, Orlando, Mary, Adam, Mississippi, Micah, Georgette, Evelyn, Diane, Millicent, Maybeline, Prudence and so many many more

I like all across the board from the very popular Chloe, Mary, Cecilia to the rare Teal, Claudette, Leonie

I think they mix just fine though I would opt to use something slightly less common when naming a baby girl.

On boys I like very classic common names like John, Thomas, Francis, James, ect. On boys I really dislike anything trendy or juvenile sounding or nicknamey. I like things a bit down the list like Sidney, Robert, Peter but nothing totally unpopular on a boy.

My favorites are all over the place too. Some are top 10 and others aren't in the top 1000. I say as long as you love the names it shouldn't matter how popular they are or if they match well with every sibling.
    TTC #1

Little Ladies: Willow*, Lily*, Rosalie, Freya, Mira, Everly, Orla, Aviva

Little Men: Hunter*, Maverick*, Griffin, Cole, Rowan, Wesley, Oakley, Jethro, Otto, Everett

*=Husband Approved

lol, I'm all over the place, too (although it seems the less popular it is, the less likely I am to actually use it!). I love top 10 names like Isabella, Olivia, Daniel, and William, popular top 50 but not top 10 classics, like Samuel, Claire, and Zoe, names outside the top 100 that seem relatively safe (Everett, Genevieve, Declan), and names way out of the top 1000 that seem really safe (Bailey on a boy, Linus, Booker, Eleni, Arianne). Popularity could matter less to me, I just care if I love the name, haha. I think my favorites all stylistically go pretty well, so that makes up for them being different popularity-wise. After all, my top choice is Isabelle, which is only number 114, but Isabella is number 2, and Arianne, my second choice, isn't even listed. But it doesn't really bother me.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George