Names Searched Right Now:
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Here in the UK (or perhaps just where I live) Jessica is still a very common name for little girls. It's number 4, so I don't think of it as a dated name really. But here's a few names that I've heard on little girls recently that I haven't hear in a good few years.

Natalie
    Carolina
    Brooke (I find this a very uncommon name where I live, but I know a girl in her twenties named this)
    Libby Felicity Annalise Isla Phoebe Carina Violet Martha Ariana | Iowan Macsen Henry Isaac Jude Freddie Aneurin Niall Adair

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    Do you love any names that you consider dated?

Is there any formula for figuring out if a name is dated or is it more like "most Theresas I know are 50"?

Would you use a dated name and if so what era are you ok with?

Personally I love a lot of names in this category and I find Nancy, Annette, Joan are usable moreso than Jennifer, Heather, Amanda.
    It's really funny, that Theresa is your example because that's the very name I am really concerned about using because I worry that it's too dated.
    Pondering names for a hypothetical #7. Current favorites: Grace Elizabeth and John Benedict nn Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by bethlow View Post
    Here in the UK (or perhaps just where I live) Jessica is still a very common name for little girls. It's number 4, so I don't think of it as a dated name really. But here's a few names that I've heard on little girls recently that I haven't hear in a good few years.

Natalie
    Carolina
    Brooke (I find this a very uncommon name where I live, but I know a girl in her twenties named this)
    It seems like the American names tend to find a new life in Britain 2-3 decades after the fact. And in some cases, British names also find a new life in America. Emma for example was more popular a generation or two ago in Britain but today it's extremely popular in America for baby girls.

I think the most 'dated' names are names that were popular about 50 to 80 years ago. Names from the 80s/90s are mostly dated but still recent enough that many of them are still fairly common, for example believe it or not there's still a couple thousand baby Jennifers born every year.

While names like Deborah, Pamela, Cheryl, Tammy, Linda, Barbara are pretty much totally dead though I wouldn't be surprised if they make a comeback in another 20 years or so when they switch from 'old people names' to 'antique' names or when people get tired of early century and move on to midcentury.

Alison, Bethany, Dawn, Karleen, Taryn, Amanda, Laurie. I still think girls would like these names.