Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

fàvorite 'dated' names

Do you love any names that you consider dated?

Is there any formula for figuring out if a name is dated or is it more like "most Theresas I know are 50"?

Would you use a dated name and if so what era are you ok with?

Personally I love a lot of names in this category and I find Nancy, Annette, Joan are usable moreso than Jennifer, Heather, Amanda.

Olga, I really think that one needs a comeback.
    Others I like are Nancy, Maude, Agnes, Esther, Dagmar, Ingrid etc. I don't know which era those names would place me in.
    I'm an absolute sucker for old-fashioned names.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

I LOVE eighties and nineties names!! I hate that they are now the "mom names," because I love the names:

Jamie (girl) (my ALL-TIME FAVORITE name, that I will probably never use )
    Alicia (as a first name, or more likely as Jamie's middle name)
    Alisa
    Katie
    Leighann
    Krista

I know there are more, but these are the first ones that come to mind.

I don't know that there's a specific formula, but I think for most people the names of their own generation are "dated" while those of their parents or grandparents are coming back around as "vintage" or seem fresh again. Of course, this rule of thumb is subject to generation length--my friend's family were a series of short generations and mine were late bloomers, so her grandma is a year younger than my mom. (Her mom was 16 when she had my friend and my mom was 36 when she had me.)

I like Joan a lot. I think if the name is more commonly used on 40 or 50 year olds, it would be considered dated. I don't think I would use a dated name, there are so many great modern names.
    All the best,
    Shannon

Charlotte Noelle
    Baby boy due February 16th, 2013