Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Santa doesn't come to our house?

For those of you who are not Christian, or do not celebrate Christmas, but live in the West where Christmas is a popular holiday, what do you tell your kids?

A little late, but Happy Hanukkah to all the Jewish Berries!
    Renaming myself ... still on the search for "my name"

Current Favourite: Guinevere Daphne
    Names Under Consideration: Renee/Renata (reborn/rebirth); Vivian (life); Lucia/Lucinda/Lucy (light)
    Guilty Pleasures: Tavi, Sunny, Carmen
    Names I Don't Like: Ann/e, Rose, Elizabeth

My daughter is not yet 1 but I am in the same situation kinda!

I was raised Catholic & my husband is a Jewish raised Atheist. No other kids on my side & a bunch of Jewish cousins who proudly know that Santa is fake & laugh about what morons the Christian kids are at their schools! I guess I'm going to just see what pans out but I certainly don't want my kid to destroy anyone else's holiday or have that smarter than the rest attitude but I also don't want her to feel Santa just doesn't like her cousins & all the Jewish kids or something like that!!

I was raised Christian and I still never believed in Santa Claus. We celebrated Christmas and enjoyed the fun of Santa but it was never taken remotely seriously. Santa lived with the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny in a chateau floating above the north pole, lol--it was all considered fun silliness along with all things Disney. I'm sure it must be tough to try to raise your kids 100% free of all Christmasiness, but not all Christians are into the Santa side of it either.

I'm sure there are other things you can do to make the holiday season feel super special and fun. My family always goes and walks around a beautiful area that has tons of lights (many of which are Hanukkah themed!). Honestly, most of our traditions aren't particularly connected to anything "Christmasy". We bake cookies, we hang lights, we give gifts to the less fortunate, we spend time with family, we shop! I'm sure it can be hard for kids, but maybe search around on pintrest for some awesome non-religious traditions and activities for kids.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I feel like the Santa issue is separate from the religion issue. I never had any intention of presenting Santa as real, only as a story. Maybe it's because I saw my mom putting presents under the tree when I was pretty young (like 2 or 3) and can't remember a time that I believed in him, but I don't really see the appeal. The whole Santa thing seems kind of sacrilegious anyway, but to each their own. I can tell him that other kids do believe and that there will always be people that believe things different from him, and that's ok. Maybe that part will help with the religion issue too, since my family is Baptist, his dad's mom is Jewish and neither of us is religious. Hopefully I can teach him to respect everyone's beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    I'm sure there are other things you can do to make the holiday season feel super special and fun. My family always goes and walks around a beautiful area that has tons of lights (many of which are Hanukkah themed!). Honestly, most of our traditions aren't particularly connected to anything "Christmasy". We bake cookies, we hang lights, we give gifts to the less fortunate, we spend time with family, we shop! I'm sure it can be hard for kids, but maybe search around on pintrest for some awesome non-religious traditions and activities for kids.
    I like this. I still want him to get the family togetherness and the lessons of appreciation, gratitude and kindness to those less fortunate. I just don't know how much religion (or even which one) to throw into the mix.