Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German names/lists

I've been particularly interested in my German ancestry lately, and I've been thinking about incorporating that into my list somehow. I'm looking for something a bit more German in feeling than the more mainstream options like Emilia, Charlotte, Sofie, Josefine, etc., but nothing that has ever been too dated/trendy here in the US (I'm looking at you, Bertha).

So far, I'm contemplating Johanna, Clara/Klara, Adelaide/Adelheid, and Annegret, but I feel like there's got to be a lot of really great options out there! Do you have any favorite German names? Or have you come across a really great German list?

Thanks, ladies!

I find a lot of German names intersting- my own German heritage playing a small role- but I've yet to find a really exciting name list. When I was searching for names for some of my German characters, some of these were suggested or stumbled upon:
    Kornelia
    Kordula
    Ottilie
    Luise
    Elsa
    Ida
    Auguste
    Käthe
    Dorothea (actually popular between 1890-1910)
    Alice
    Henriette
    Alwine
    Marianne
    Friederike
    Magdalene
    Elfriede
    Wilhelmine
    Frieda
    Marta

This website actually has an overview of popular names in Germany, and it's pretty interesting: http://www.beliebte-vornamen.de/jahrgang

Hope that helps!
    -Athena
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

As far as German names Klara is my absolute favourite, and I love love love Johanna & Adelheid.

Some of my other loves (some are Dutch as well as German):
    Elke, Marlies(e), Lotte, Elisabet, Katja, Margarethe, Aurelia, Freja, Lorelei (I'm not sure if Lorelei is used around Germany too much, but it definitely has its German roots)

This is a fantastic site to look for inspiration:
    http://legitbabenames.wordpress.com/german-names/
    Last edited by minisia; December 9th, 2012 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks, ladies! So far I'm really loving Johanna and Clara/Klara, but I've discovered Adalind/Adelind/Adelinde on several sites I've been looking at, and I'm really loving that. Unfortunately, I'm trying to steer clear of "A" names because I don't really like their flow with the FN I'm trying to pair up with--Eva. I suppose Eva Adalind could work (as well as Eva Adelaide, Eva Anneliese, Eva Annika, etc.)--and while the -a A- thing doesn't usually bother me, it does with Eva, unfortunately. :/

I really like the idea of Eva Clara as a double name, though, Eva Clara something or other. Plus, Clara is a family name, so that makes it even more appealing... Hmm.

Anyone else?