Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Prayer and Psalm are fine as middle names. I completely disagree with the statement that you should avoid religious names in the case that your child turns away from your faith.
    Last edited by southern.maple; December 9th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

As a Christian, I don't find Prayer or Psalm are offensive. The middle spot is the perfect place for something bold and unusual. I do find Psalm quite appealing (it rhymes with calm) and I think it works better than Prayer as a word name. I always find it quite sad that people are turning away from names that have a religious connection. Hopefully, your child will love the special meaning when he or she grows up. I love the names Grace, Solace and Consuelo (Consolation). I know in countries like Ireland, Assumpta, Concepta, Redempta and Fidelma are used too.
    Last edited by mischa; December 9th, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I absolutely love the name Amabel Prayer from your examples.

I don't find either of these offensive from a religious perspective. I can see how they may make an atheist uncomfortable; the atheists I know came from hyper-religious backgrounds and so are quite sensitive to anything that could be taken that way. However, I don't think Prayer is limited to a religious context. There are a variety of non-religious spiritual traditions that still value prayer as a way of expressing gratitude, compassion, and hope. Psalm I can see being perceived as more Judeo-Christian in origin, but despite the religious connotations it has adopted over the years, the word itself simply refers to poetry.

All this to say, yes, I think they absolutely work as word names, and are even more wearable than certain virtue names (such as Chastity, Patience, or Fidelity)
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

I think they're sort of heavy names to bear in the vernacular. Tehila (which means in general psalm or praise) is a popular Hebrew name in Jewish communities, but the words just don't feel right to me in English.

As a Christian, I don't find these words offensive if used as names either, but "Prayer" would be especially weird I think. Psalm = Song. The book of Psalms in the Bible is a book of songs that would have been sung in the synagogue in Biblical times -though, in translatin, they are not as poetic as they must be in Hebrew.

How about the name Selah for a girl? Its meaning is listed as "rock" here in NB... but actually, it is a musical term used in the Psalms to indicaate a moment to pause & reflect. See http://www.behindthename.com/name/selah
    Mommy to John Alexander & 3 furbabies; Maggie the dog, Rex & Bella the wannabe lions

Current favourites: girls -Eliana [Bronwen, Joy, Claire, Irene], Leora [Irene, Bronwen, Bronwyn], Sarah Elise, Anna Charlotte, Adelaide, Phoebe, Kathryn, Elizabeth, Anastasia, Celeste, Astrid, Beatrix, Lucy
    boys: Callum, Arthur [Paul or William], Nathaniel, Samuel, Zachary, Elijah