Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Prayer and Psalm are fine as middle names. I completely disagree with the statement that you should avoid religious names in the case that your child turns away from your faith.
    Last edited by southern.maple; December 9th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Dean ◊ Micah ◊ Gideon ◊ Tobias ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Edith ◊ Georgia ◊ Gwen ◊ Catherine ◊ Lydia ◊ Phoebe

As a Christian, I don't find Prayer or Psalm are offensive. The middle spot is the perfect place for something bold and unusual. I do find Psalm quite appealing (it rhymes with calm) and I think it works better than Prayer as a word name. I always find it quite sad that people are turning away from names that have a religious connection. Hopefully, your child will love the special meaning when he or she grows up. I love the names Grace, Solace and Consuelo (Consolation). I know in countries like Ireland, Assumpta, Concepta, Redempta and Fidelma are used too.
    Last edited by mischa; December 9th, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I absolutely love the name Amabel Prayer from your examples.

I don't find either of these offensive from a religious perspective. I can see how they may make an atheist uncomfortable; the atheists I know came from hyper-religious backgrounds and so are quite sensitive to anything that could be taken that way. However, I don't think Prayer is limited to a religious context. There are a variety of non-religious spiritual traditions that still value prayer as a way of expressing gratitude, compassion, and hope. Psalm I can see being perceived as more Judeo-Christian in origin, but despite the religious connotations it has adopted over the years, the word itself simply refers to poetry.

All this to say, yes, I think they absolutely work as word names, and are even more wearable than certain virtue names (such as Chastity, Patience, or Fidelity)
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Ender _____ ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Fawn or Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ and second-guessing River Selene

GPs
    Cirina Wryn, Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Parthenia Nyx, Astoria, Illyria, Gwyneira, Farasha, Serafina, Senara, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Hawthorne, Kenshin, Bastion, Remiel, Atreyu

I think they're sort of heavy names to bear in the vernacular. Tehila (which means in general psalm or praise) is a popular Hebrew name in Jewish communities, but the words just don't feel right to me in English.

As a Christian, I don't find these words offensive if used as names either, but "Prayer" would be especially weird I think. Psalm = Song. The book of Psalms in the Bible is a book of songs that would have been sung in the synagogue in Biblical times -though, in translatin, they are not as poetic as they must be in Hebrew.

How about the name Selah for a girl? Its meaning is listed as "rock" here in NB... but actually, it is a musical term used in the Psalms to indicaate a moment to pause & reflect. See http://www.behindthename.com/name/selah
    Mommy to John Alexander & 3 furbabies; Maggie the dog, Rex & Bella the wannabe lions

Current favourites: girls -Eliana [Bronwen, Joy, Claire, Irene], Leora [Irene, Bronwen, Bronwyn], Sarah Elise, Anna Charlotte, Adelaide, Phoebe, Kathryn, Elizabeth, Anastasia, Celeste, Astrid, Beatrix, Lucy
    boys: Callum, Arthur [Paul or William], Nathaniel, Samuel, Zachary, Elijah