Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To much to ask?

If you want something recognizable but uncommon (at least on the under 60 crowd), go with Ruth. I know at least 15 women and children with the names Sara/Sarah. I'm guessing that the reason you're running into this problem with Nils is because people who are not name nerds have never heard of it, much less met one or seen it spelled (at least if you're in the U.S.). You won't have that problem with Ruth!
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

My daughter's name is Ruth. One of the reasons I went with that name is because it's short & sweet, easy to spell, no one ever ever misspells or mispronounces it, it's familiar enough without being common on children these days.

I also like Eve, as my Ggrandma was Evelyn. However, Evelyn has become so popular in the past few years. Its actually 17 in IL. However, Eve is difficult to pair with a middle. DH's Great Grandmother was Axelina. Not the prettiest name in the world but a multisyllable girls name from family which is hard to come by in our families. Eve Axelina or Ruth Adeline
    [CENTER]
    Mommy to
    Nils David * Serafina Ann

Loves:
    Zia, Lorelei, Elowen, Vera, Adeline, Cordelia, Zorah

Judah, Peter, Fredric, Olin, Dean, Jonah

Ruth Axelina
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Sarah and Sara are both used frequently. My grandma's first name is Sarah and my mom told me she's had people argue with her over pronunciation. We say it like sah-ra but some people apparently pronounce it say-ra and one of them was even trying to tell her she was saying her own mother's name wrong!

Ruth seems very safe in this regard. I can't imagine anyone spelling it any differently or pronouncing it differently. I don't think it's asking too much--some people aren't bothered by these things, but you've been through it your whole life and will be doing it for your son's whole life, so I can definitely understand wanting your next child to have an easy, unquestioned name so you can catch a break.