Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alzora View Post
    I'm going to disagree with the previous posters and say NOT to give her a "more formal" first name! If she is Izzie to you, name her Izzie! No need to change it to a name you don't love just because it sounds more formal and conforms to society's standards. I understand the concern about how seriously an "Izzie" resume would be taken, but I want to believe that in reality an employer would be looking at her qualifications, not her name. I agree that it should be spelled with a Z, as I too would want to pronounce Issie/Issy with an S sound, to rhyme with Lissie. I like Izzie.
    But regardless of what you or I may think about the judgements a person may or may not face, the fact remains that it is still there even if we do not agree with a persons name, style of clothes, hair, or noticable piercings and how it relates or not to their qualifications for whatever profession. While I have seen persons with all sorts of names excel in their chosen fields as I have seen persons with other "social no-no's" do well, the fact remains that it may be judged even if it is never known or talked about.

In the perfect world, my husband would be able to wear whatever he wants to work, wear shirts that need and not hide the tattoos on both his arms. But he can't do that because he works in a competitive corporate environment where yes, these sorts of things are taken into consideration. In the perfect world he would be able to be the free spirit he is at home and with friends, but in the professional world that isn't what gets a person ahead to ultimately pay the bills. All this to say, I do feel that a person with the full name Izzy is not destined for failure or anything, but I do feel that a more formal name has one less thing to worry about...but a parent should choose a name they love and love the child tjey.give it to, which whatever this little gal is named I am sure will be the case.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

Quote Originally Posted by jemama View Post
    But regardless of what you or I may think about the judgements a person may or may not face, the fact remains that it is still there even if we do not agree with a persons name, style of clothes, hair, or noticable piercings and how it relates or not to their qualifications for whatever profession. While I have seen persons with all sorts of names excel in their chosen fields as I have seen persons with other "social no-no's" do well, the fact remains that it may be judged even if it is never known or talked about.

In the perfect world, my husband would be able to wear whatever he wants to work, wear shirts that need and not hide the tattoos on both his arms. But he can't do that because he works in a competitive corporate environment where yes, these sorts of things are taken into consideration. In the perfect world he would be able to be the free spirit he is at home and with friends, but in the professional world that isn't what gets a person ahead to ultimately pay the bills. All this to say, I do feel that a person with the full name Izzy is not destined for failure or anything, but I do feel that a more formal name has one less thing to worry about...but a parent should choose a name they love and love the child tjey.give it to, which whatever this little gal is named I am sure will be the case.
    This is what I was thinking. In the perfect world it really wouldn't matter. I've been in assistant managing positions for multiple companies and was in a role that assisted with reviewing applications and interviewing. I have to say that if I was reviewing an app that had a name that was pretty much universally recognized as just being a nickname - be it Izzy, Ibby, Meg, Junie, or Timmy - I'd be scratching my head as to why they hadn't used their full name on something as formal as application. Because why wouldn't you present the most professional version of yourself in this setting, as a sign of respect? It indicates a lack of business savvy on an applicant's part. While this in and of itself wouldn't keep me from calling a person back, it is just one more hurdle, and if I already had 4 better resumes and was trying to decide between 2 practically identical submissions for the 5th spot... I'd probably pick the one that looked like a real name.

That said, it probably really won't matter in 20 years. Everyone will be named Aylen, Brodiey, and Cashola so employers will probably be seeking out the people with decent, proper, nickname names

ETA: I should also point out that we're not talking about crazy high-paying positions here, either. Think more like your local coffee joint, clothing shop, or technology store. I'd imagine the prejudices are worse, the higher up the corporate ladder you climb.
    Last edited by tk.; December 6th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Touche. I come from a small town (think Mayberry on Andy Griffith) where there's none of this ridiculous social pressure, and my training is in the arts, where we deliberately go against the grain anyway. But in reality, your points should be taken into serious consideration by the original poster, and a longer name should be considered. I think Lizbet, nickname Izzie/Izzy, would be kind of cool.

Another vote for Eliza over Izzie. Izzie is a perfect nickname for Eliza, and no one ever has to call her by her full name, but I really don't think Izzy/Izzie passes the resume test. Eliza is lovely, Izzie is a wonderful name to call her by, and I think Eliza Rose is perfect.
    Newlywed and will be TTC soon.

Currently thinking of:
    Mattias Graham, Cassian James, Asa Nathaniel, Macsen Henry
    Leonora Pearl, Aurelia Sarai, Felicity Susanna, Camellia Mae

Quote Originally Posted by alzora View Post
    Touche. I come from a small town (think Mayberry on Andy Griffith) where there's none of this ridiculous social pressure, and my training is in the arts, where we deliberately go against the grain anyway. But in reality, your points should be taken into serious consideration by the original poster, and a longer name should be considered. I think Lizbet, nickname Izzie/Izzy, would be kind of cool.
    Sounds like a nice atmosphere to grow up in
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training