Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vienna?

When I hear someone with a place name, I think it's a little tacky UNLESS the place holds a special meaning for one of the parents... i.e. they honeymooned there, one of them travelled there and was greatly inspired/rested, etc. However, I once asked a woman how she came up with the name Sterling for her daughter, and was told she was conceived there (it's a small town in Scotland, I think). That was a bit more info than I wanted to hear!! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by elehol View Post
    Edited to add: I don't think it being a place name rules it out as a name, there are plenty of place names used as baby names. Off the top of my head: Paris, Aurora, Ireland, Harlow, Adelaide.
    Paris, Carolina, Adelaide, Victoria etc were names BEFORE they were places.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

The first thing that came to mind for me was Vienna Sausage

I like seeing place names used as a first name when their is a personal significance with that place. It isn't the end of the world if not. It has been used as a name and is quite similar to other first names. It has a nice sound and is easy to spell and say etc. The sausage association isn't so great.

Personally, I don't love it. I much prefer Sienna and Sierra (even if a little dated).

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Paris, Carolina, Adelaide, Victoria etc were names BEFORE they were places.
    Fair point, but I still don't think that place name automatically means unsuitable for use on a child. In the everyday world, most people aren't going to know whether Carolina-the-place or Carolina-the-name came first. Plus, I think if you use a place that's not very well known as a name, such as Vienna, it's not quite as tacky. In my opinion, part of what makes Paris and London so tacky as names is that they're big cities that invoke that sense of "luxury", similar to names like Chanel and Armani. Ultimately it's a matter of opinion, of course, but I think there definitely are place names that can work as non-tacky baby names and I would say Vienna is one of them.
    Elena + baby girl on the way, due Feb 2013:
    Rosalita Mary ~ Azalea Maribel ~ Magnolia Ivy