Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Mount Rainier is in the north west right? I've never been to the west coast... Need to do that on my next U.S. trip which is scheduled for august 2013! is it close to Idaho by any chance?

I'm going to ask again about Herne and one syllable last name. Good or bad? I think it sounds fine, but I get confused a lot.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Ottilie, Mt Rainier is spectacular and it's approximately a 2hr drive from Seattle, with a beautiful national park surrounding it, several hundred miles of hiking trails, and all the lovely pristine scenery you could ask for. In US terms I suppose it's 'close' to Idaho, but it's about 300 miles from the Washington-Idaho border.

I lived in Seattle and loved it. I could never use Rainier while there, but now that I'm away, it's most definitely on the list. I would use it for its imagery, Northwest connections, Ragnar cognate and sleek cosmopolitan vibe. The 'rules' for my Church state that at least one of a child's given names should be that of a saint recognized by the Eastern church (so, anyone directly canonized in the East, or any saint from the West who was canonized before the Great Schism in the 11th c). Unfortunately Rainier wasn't an Eastern saint, so it would be in the middle spot most likely.

I think one syllable boys' names work well with monosyllabic surnames, a la John Wayne or Clark Kent. They sound distinctive, no-nonsense, and manly. Conversely, on girls I think they sound incomplete (i.e. Jane Doe). With a pair of nice long middles, Herne most certainly would work with "Ells."
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Mount Rainier is in the north west right? I've never been to the west coast... Need to do that on my next U.S. trip which is scheduled for august 2013! is it close to Idaho by any chance?
    Ottilie, if you are making a pilgrimage to the Pacific Northwest, we should totally do coffee or something!

Combo time! I've got some real doozies in here...favorites are marked with a star. (Orpheus was the hardest this time around...Endymion, as always, my first love)

Endymion - North western parts of Norway in winter, northern lights and snow...
    Endymion Rigel Westernesse**
    Endymion Lorengel Silversnow
    Endymion Glacier Numenor
    Endymion Wilder Calidore
    Endymion Orion Frost
    Endymion Melchior Theron
    Endymion Boreal Artegal
    Endymion Rainier North
    Endymion Alaric Winter
    Endymion Iorek Elessar* (when I think of north and snow and the northern lights, I can't help but think of His Dark Materials and the panserbjorne, Iorek Byrnison, the armored smith-bear who makes his soul out of sky-iron!)
    Endymion Silver Morrow*** (who could forget this one??)

Faramir - Spring. Meadows with river twisting and turning between. Willow trees... (I absolutely love this name, but there are not many on your list that I'm going to pair it with, simply because I don't want to go overboard on the Tolkein references. Most of my combos for you, I try to include at least one name on your list, but I think I'm going to run out of non-Tolkein options with Faramir!)
    Faramir Sherwood Alaric*
    Faramir Theron Wilder
    Faramir Artegal River
    Faramir Balsam Calidore
    Faramir Cypress Lorengel
    Faramir Vernon Marinell
    Faramir Argent Siderion
    Faramir Trillium Seraph

Herne - I imagine him in the Forest of Dean, big beautiful trees, lush forest floor, at night. A hunter (obviously).
    Herne Aldaron Loxley*
    Herne Lorien Wilder
    Herne Elessar Greenleaf*
    Herne Eldarion Vetiver*
    Herne Sylvan Westernesse
    Herne Remiel Nightwish
    Herne Morpheus Lorengel

Gawain - Wild forest in autumn, all the beautiful colours. Foxes, owls and other night creatures.
    Gawain Aurelius Haldir*
    Gawain Serafim Nighthawk
    Gawain Elessar Mabon (a Celtic harvest god after whom the Thanksgiving Sabbat was named)
    Gawain Eldarion Harvest
    Gawain Mulberry Theron
    Gawain Strider Augustus
    Gawain Artegal Russet
    Gawain Aldaron Falcon

Orpheus - late summer, open woodland... and the myth of Orpheus (the good parts)
    Orpheus Rainier Oakenshield*
    Orpheus Theron Firenze*
    Orpheus Lorengel Cedar
    Orpheus Shepherd Alaric
    Orpheus Aldaron Thorn
    Orpheus Timber Alaric
    Orpheus Wildwood Orion
    Last edited by sleepysessha; December 8th, 2012 at 03:35 AM. Reason: missed one!
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

blade: thanks that's what I hoped. I love Herne so much, and there are lots of cool 1 + 1 syllable names, neil young for example! And mt Rainier sounds amazing, I googled it just now and it's stunning. I definitely need to go there!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysessha View Post
    Ottilie, if you are making a pilgrimage to the Pacific Northwest, we should totally do coffee or something!
    Count me in! Oh, and look at those combos! Great job! I love: Endymion Rigel Westernesse, Endymion Lorengel Silversnow, Endymion Iorek Elessar, Endymion Silver Morrow, Faramir Sherwood Alaric, Faramir Vernon Marinell, Herne Elessar Greenleaf, Herne Eldarion Vetiver, Gawain Aurelius Haldir and Orpheus Rainier Oakenshield. I like all of them though, just had to pick my absolute favourites.. Thank you so much!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

We've narrowed it down, these look like our options for names:

Endymion Iorek Lorien
    Endymion Strider Westernesse
    Endymion Hylas Lorien

Faramir Artegal Snowdon
    Faramir Cambell Greenleaf
    Faramir Artegal Greenleaf

Gawain Marinell Strider
    Gawain Hector Marinell
    Gawain Boromir Marinell

Herne Rainier Westernesse
    Herne Rainier Elessar
    Herne Aldaron Lorengel

Orpheus Earendil Vale
    Orpheus Earendil Foxglove
    Orpheus Earendil Wythe