Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maggiemary View Post
    If people want to use boy's names on girls, I can't stop them, but if they do it they should damn well be honest about it, and just say "yes I gave my daughter a boy's name," rather than trying to claim that name for the girls.
    A million times THANK YOU!

I don't mind gender-bending names but I HATE the discouragement when you want to use them on boys. 99% of the feedback I get for my two favorite boy names -Shea & Ashley- are that they are girl names. Not even unisex, just 100% woman. Even the Nameberry descriptions are outright negative for these and other boy names that have been used for girls.

There are traditional male names that I like on girls- Arlo, Linden, Jasper- but I don't try to rewrite history and claim they're girl names. When people say "it's a boy name" I don't get indignant and call them closed-minded (which is the usual response on these boards). I fully acknowledge that these are men's names. And I don't make discouraging "it's girly/soft/feminine" comments when someone wants to use them for a boy

Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Fox * Greer
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

Quote Originally Posted by tk. View Post
    I can totally see where this would be the gut reaction, but don't you think it's probably because Ashley was taken for the girls? I often wonder if we'd find names like Ashton, Finley, Hadley, etc to sound "girly" if Ashley hadn't gone over so... successfully.
    Good point! Ash- names are "all girl" and basically any name that ends in "ee" has been deemed feminine. Now it's happening with Em- and El- names. All the sudden people are claiming names like Ellis, Emerson, Emmett, and Ellery sound "girly"

Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Fox * Greer
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

Quote Originally Posted by tk. View Post
    I can totally see where this would be the gut reaction, but don't you think it's probably because Ashley was taken for the girls? I often wonder if we'd find names like Ashton, Finley, Hadley, etc to sound "girly" if Ashley hadn't gone over so... successfully.

In response to those who find certain boys' names to sound feminine, I have to say that I'm beginning to get tired of things being considered girly just because they're soft. If people want to name their daughters Elliot or Asher because they're so soft sounding, then by all means please do so. I just wish they'd use the same logic and name their sons Harriet and Matilda.

I agree. The only reason Asher sounds feminine to me is because of Ashley. Some softer boy names sounds very masculine to me, Seth for example. I don't think it is the softness of the name that makes it feminine, more the association with Ashley. Which is too bad.

It drives me crazy when people automatically associate a name with an "ee" ending as feminine, like Finley.

I think Asher would be wonderful for a girl. It's very cute.
    I'm a young writer who's obsessed with baby names!!!!!!!!
    Favorite names coming soon...
    Elrock13

Quote Originally Posted by uselesskitty View Post
    I agree. The only reason Asher sounds feminine to me is because of Ashley. Some softer boy names sounds very masculine to me, Seth for example. I don't think it is the softness of the name that makes it feminine, more the association with Ashley. Which is too bad.

It drives me crazy when people automatically associate a name with an "ee" ending as feminine, like Finley.
    Seth is a wonderful example - just don't say it too loudly I love that name.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training