Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nat108 View Post
    My first exposure to Asher was in the Bible as the father of one of the 12 tribes of Israel, so it's a man's name to me.
    I have a friend named Asha "aw-sha" so I love it. It doesn't relate the Asher as I pronounce it "ash-er"

I love the Hebrew names Asherah and Ashira for girls, "a-sheer-a or asher-ah". Asherah is a Semitic goddess while Ashira means "I will sing"

I really don't like this line of thought that if a name "sounds" soft it's feminine. It's kind of offensive. My 100% female name doesn't "sound" soft does that mean I have a masculine name? Asher may "sound" soft but that does not negate that it is a man's name. Softness does not equal female.
    Listen; as you said that you heard it first as a mans name, I heard it first as a female name, so therefore my thoughts are obviously different from yours-I also never said that it sounds soft and therefore feminine! I was really hoping for a discussion where people could express their POSITIVE feelings on the name and not draw on any negatives and openly disagree with other people's opinions!

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by name-guru View Post
    I was really hoping for a discussion where people could [...] not draw on any negatives [or] openly disagree with other people's opinions!
    A discussion (how you labelled this thread) tends to be where you openly agree or disagree with other people's opinions and give reasons why, which everyone has.

--I think it's a nice name overall. I can see it on a girl though I like it on a boy better, maybe because the name Ashley is mostly male in my country. However my favourite Ash name for a boy or a girl, equally, is just plain Ash. There’s also Ashton and Ashby. I also like Aislinn for a girl, but not Ashlyn.

--Someone is ahead of you because there is an Australian *actress* called Asher Keddie.

--I think the true internalised misogyny is people shying away from a name for a boy just because it's been used on a girl. Some people can't stand the thought of their son sharing a name with a girl. Dunno why.
    Delilah CelesteAveline Ruth Winter FaySilas Alaric Fabian Seth Lucian Ezra

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.

Quote Originally Posted by name-guru View Post
    Listen; as you said that you heard it first as a mans name, I heard it first as a female name, so therefore my thoughts are obviously different from yours-I also never said that it sounds soft and therefore feminine! I was really hoping for a discussion where people could express their POSITIVE feelings on the name and not draw on any negatives and openly disagree with other people's opinions!
    Is it a discussion with only room for positives and no negatives and no disagreement?

I'm sorry you feel hurt but you did ask what we thought?

I mean just taking them in order:

Do you think it sounds too much of a boys name? What does it remind you of? Do you know of any girl Asher's? What are your favourite pronunciations, variations middle names and close names?
    1. Yes.
    2. The Tribe of Israel.
    3. Yes, but I also know girl Kyle and girl Michaels. I know more male Ashers than female, especially once you get to adult/senior citizen age brackets and not new babies. Asher is relatively fresh to the mainstream; it's traditional use is thoroughly male.
    4. I like Asha/Aislinn/Aisling for girls, I think they're super cute. But I don't like "Asher" itself for a girl.

I don't mean to be mean. But I'm not sure what you were looking for, if not people saying what they thought of it?

My favourite androgynous-sounding Biblical names for girls are Noa and Michal. Or Tamar, if you think Tamar sounds manly, which I've heard some people do. I might be a bit of a traditionalist in some ways, though many many people on Nameberry don't like Noa on girls either.

Nobody's going to like all your names, or all my names, or all of anything, I don't think anyone is trying to be mean? I don't get mad when people don't really like my names so I hope you can forgive me for not really being all about Asher for a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by amberdaydream View Post
    A discussion (how you labelled this thread) tends to be where you openly agree or disagree with other people's opinions and give reasons why, which everyone has.

--I think it's a nice name overall. I can see it on a girl though I like it on a boy better, maybe because the name Ashley is mostly male in my country. However my favourite Ash name for a boy or a girl, equally, is just plain Ash. There’s also Ashton and Ashby. I also like Aislinn for a girl, but not Ashlyn.

--Someone is ahead of you because there is an Australian *actress* called Asher Keddie.

--I think the true internalised misogyny is people shying away from a name for a boy just because it's been used on a girl. Some people can't stand the thought of their son sharing a name with a girl. Dunno why.
    Thankyou
    And I think I sort of put it wrong when I said "openly disagree"-anyway no more talk of that haha!

There is an Australian actress who's first name is Asher, it suits her. The first time I heard the name Asher was when I heard her name, so for ages I thought it was actually a girls name! I now also know an Asha and I have known an Aislinn for a long time too. All great names in my opinion. I am usually opposed to the whole boys names on girls thing, but this one doesn't bother me because Asher has a soft sound and can sound feminine, unlike Maxwell, James etc...
    Mummy to Xavier and Elijah

Girls names: Rhiannon, Aine, Eilidh, Phoebe, Amelie, Freya, India
    Boys names: Eden, Elijah/Eli, Finn, Jude, Levi, Nash, Quinn, Sebastian, Arlo, Knox