Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    At this rate Nameberry should start a message board for "[insert boys' name here] on a girl?!" I don't think this is even the first time Asher has been mooted as a girls' name. Second verse, same as the first: Elliot, James, Carter, George, Butch, Rambo, and, yes, Asher, are boys' names. Using these names on a girl is exactly as ridiculous as naming a boy Jane, Emily, Maria, Lily, or Isabel. And if you would use a boys' name on a girl but not a girls' name on a boy, please stop for a moment and ask yourself why. (Hint: internalized misogyny might have something to do with it!)

Asher on a girl: No. Asha on a girl: Yes.
    *applause*
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele

To east93 and augusta_lee

I think you are being incredibley rude. I believe that Asher sounds more feminine than masculine, but love it on either.
    I don't understand why people need to use such rudeness when expressing their thoughts. A simple "no-how about this" would be a little more respectful! But thankyou stripedsocks and anna.bliss for being more understanding.

I fail to see the rudeness you're alluding to in our posts, I provided an explanation as to why I did not like it. I did not insult you, nor the name.

The sound of a name doesn't determine if it's meant for males or females. If that was the case then Gertrude would be used on boys, and Andrea wouldn't be a legitimate Italian male name.
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele

Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    I fail to see the rudeness you're alluding to in our posts, I provided an explanation as to why I did not like it. I did not insult you, nor the name.

The sound of a name doesn't determine if it's meant for males or females. If that was the case then Gertrude would be used on boys, and Andrea wouldn't be a legitimate Italian male name.
    I never said that the sound of it should make it a female name I simply said that it sounded feminine (not stating that it was a feminine name) and I also said that I love it for either.

My first exposure to Asher was in the Bible as the father of one of the 12 tribes of Israel, so it's a man's name to me.
    I have a friend named Asha "aw-sha" so I love it. It doesn't relate the Asher as I pronounce it "ash-er"

I love the Hebrew names Asherah and Ashira for girls, "a-sheer-a or asher-ah". Asherah is a Semitic goddess while Ashira means "I will sing"

I really don't like this line of thought that if a name "sounds" soft it's feminine. It's kind of offensive. My 100% female name doesn't "sound" soft does that mean I have a masculine name? Asher may "sound" soft but that does not negate that it is a man's name. Softness does not equal female.

Shea * Jade * Azure * Fox * Greer * Blaise
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden